| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
9 members (J Lucas, Barry Martak, Lonnie, GusG, Nick in Manitou, TexasJim50, klhansen, Southerntruck, 1 invisible),
121
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,428 Members48,443 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 10 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 10 | I am in the process of changing my 46 1/2 ton from 6v to 12v. I have purchased a second tail light for the passenger sid, replaced one of the light sockets in the unit from a single filament to a dual filament for turn signals. I just removed the generator and installed a new alternator with an internal regulator. I have a copy of what was the original wiring diagram and a book on how to change from 6v to 12v......Here is my question....how do I wire the alternator...I see a large terminal with a red washer. i believe that goes to the battery. Does it go direct or through a switch, ammeter? The alternator also has a terminal plug with two prongs...where do the go...i am sure I have more questions but I will stop here. Thanks for any and all help. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 1,624 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 1,624 | Do a search of this forum for the answer to question number two. The question has been addressed a number of times. Question number one is...run a large wire (no smaller than #10awg from the red terminal to the large lug on the starter. Good luck.
Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | hardy46, Alternators are a modern mystery to me but I have successfully wired and used a 1-wire 12v alternator on a 1954 truck. There were two terminals on the alternator but I only used one, wired through the ammeter to the battery (that diagram is one I found on the Internet many years ago). I have read that there are 1, 2, 3, and 4 wire alternators (and have seen different people use different wire-numbering terminology to describe the same alternator). If you know the brand and model of your alternator, you might want to post it; and, if possible, post a few photos of your leads/terminals/connectors. Tim | | | | | Joined: Jul 2009 Posts: 7 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jul 2009 Posts: 7 | Hi, The lug with the red washer needs 12 volts from the battery. The #1 spade should come from the switched side of the ignition. The #2 spade needs a jumper back to the red washer lug. I got this info from the guy at the local alt./starter rebuild shop. Works like a champ. Bob | | |
| |
| |