The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (fonz8261, Hotrod Lincoln), 122 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#560512 07/30/2009 5:43 PM
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 143
Y
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Y Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 143
What are your opinions on having a straight drive-shaft made for my 66' LWB. It has rear coil springs and I'm tired of the carrier bearing going out. I've probably gone through six bearings of varying quality and manufacture. Please let me know if a straight shaft is possible. Thanks

Z
ZooKeeper
Unregistered
ZooKeeper
Unregistered
Z
Do what I did on my 68, I made an adapter(basicly a piece of thick angle iron) to mount a late model carrier bearing to the truck that way instead of hanging like the stock ones do it would be sitting on the plate I made. You may have to have your driveshaft modified because I was using the front shaft out of a 92 fullsize pick up in mine because of the longtail shaft automatic I was running....Joe

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Why are they failing? It may be good to be sure you know before switching.

The two-piece shaft gains ground clearance and allows using smaller tubes. A single shaft will need to be much larger tube to provide the same strength, plus balance will be more critical.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
A lwb is really too long for a single drive shaft. The length depends on tubing diameter and thickness. Center bearings normally last a very long time. Are your joints in phase and did you change the plane of the engine or the rear. If the plane has been changed a one piece shaft will fail in no time. I am assuming you are speaking of the center bearing. The carrier bearing is actually the bearing that supports the ring gear, but the center bearing is quite often referred to as a carrier bearing.

Z
ZooKeeper
Unregistered
ZooKeeper
Unregistered
Z
Over on another site they talked about the failure the after market bearing are having. Some folks went to far as to put new everything on the driveshaft & had them rebalanced & the bearing still went bad in less then a year. Most chalked it up to inferior overseas junk.
Some folks call them carrier bearings other call them support bearing or center bearing. Regardless they all mean the same thing, Google is your friend..Joe

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 143
Y
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Y Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 143
That angle iron thing is a good idea but I don't know if I want to go that way. I was considering using a larger driveshaft off of a 3/4 ton that uses a "half-moon" bearing instead of the "teardrop" type bearing that I have now. I don't know why they are failing exactly but I have a theory that it is because my engine is 300+ horses which is much higher than the driveline was originally designed for. Generally the bearing itself doesn't fail but it's usually that the bracket actually twist off. Before installing the last bearing, I welded braces on it but it now sounds as though the bearing itself is going out. Everything on the drive line is at the same length as when this truck is manufactured. What exactly do you mean by plane Crenwelge? I am speaking of the center bearing, I just have always heard it called carrier bearing. Thanks a lot, Derry.

Z
ZooKeeper
Unregistered
ZooKeeper
Unregistered
Z
From over on 67-72chevytrucks.com & it seems some have ran a one piece driveshaft w/o problems.....Joe

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Originally Posted by OldSub
Why are they failing? It may be good to be sure you know before switching.
I'll second that, and guess it's a balance or angle problem.

If you want to redesign the driveline have a look at this Tech Tip and the manuals linked in it http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/driveline/setup/index.html
A driveshaft may look simple but there is a lot thought that goes into getting the right one for the job and installing it properly so it will last.

Before just swapping stuff around at least skim through the manuals and or ask a good driveshaft shop for help/recommendations.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,179
Red dot, center of chest ...
Red dot, center of chest ...
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,179
By plane he's referring to the angle of the driveshaft from level. If you change the angle of a driveshaft by changing the front or rear connections (raise or lower the rear end, different transmission with a lower or higher rear connector), you can often damage center bearings or u-joints quickly.

That doesn't sound like the problem you have. In the old days center bearings used to go out from too much vibration. Make sure your rear end isn't moving around on you (broken u-bolts or missing nuts on the axle mounts or badly worn springs mounts and shackles, etc.) and the transmission mount isn't worn excessively. If you can move the transmission from side to side, even slightly, by pushing on it, you've got a problem. If you can move the rear end in any direction (up, down, side to side, diagonally), you've got a problem.

Rear ends, when power is sent to them, want to twist upward. This movement is accounted for in the design of the drivetrain, including the sizing of the u-joints, the planes of the shafts and the location of the center bearing. But it depends on all the mounting points being firmly fixed, with no movement of the spring mounts or axle mounts allowed. Wear of any mount point can cause the rear end to move in unexpected ways, putting pressure on the center bearing in ways it's not designed to handle.

Also check all the u-joints. You could easily have a u-joint that's worn excessively, causing a vibration that's wearing the center bearing excessively. Any excessive movement (fractions of inches) translates into a constant vibration that puts tremendous loads on the center bearing during acceleration.

I wouldn't expect extra horsepower to cause this problem. It would be much more likely to shear the tips of the u-joints (which could lead to a bad center bearing eventually but would more likely manifest itself in a broken u-joint very quickly, especially if you're prone to jackrabbit starts or frequent burned rubber.


Paul Schmehl CI 6
geek@stovebolt.com
Stovebolt Staff: Geek
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 143
Y
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Y Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 143
Well I guess the plane isn't my problem. I did just replace the rear U-joint last week as it had severe bearing wear. The rear end did have a bolt that had pulled through where it mounted to the truck but that was fixed with a large washer and welding. I have new coil springs and shocks installed. The transmission is mounted to the bell housing only. Is it possible that worn motor mounts can be causing this problem? The drive shaft has been balanced and looks to be in good shape. Perhaps it is my quick driving that is causing all this havoc on the bearing? I will go through today and see if anything looks broken or worn but am not optimistic to find anything. Thanks a lot, Derry

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
It's a poor design, pure and simple. Of course other factors make them fail sooner and the influx of foreign junk dosen't help much. I like the idea of changing it out for something more substantial.
Fred


1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,179
Red dot, center of chest ...
Red dot, center of chest ...
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,179
Dellman, I'm not familiar with your year of truck, but most GM vehicles had a transmission crossmember that bolted to the frame. The transmission then mounted to the crossmember through a transmission mount, basically a metal plate with rubber bonded to it and a bolt hole on each side. This allowed the transmission a small amount of flexibility while supporting its weight and fixing it in position. I would check to see if the truck is supposed to have a crossmember supporting the transmission. Hanging a tranny off an engine with just the bellhousing bolts supporting it is a risk proposition.

If there is supposed to be a crossmember and yours is missing, I'd peg that as a major source of your center bearing travails. You can probably pick one up a the local junk yard for almost nothing and then buy a new transmission mount at your local parts store or online.

In fact, if there is supposed to be a transmission crossmember, if you go to a bigger, heavier driveshaft setup, you simply exacerbate the problem. I'd check that first, and fix it if it's missing, before even considering changing your setup.

Bad motor mounts are more likely to manifest themselves in excessive side to side movement when the motor is revved. I've seen broken mounts where the motor literally jumped up when it was revved (and the fan cut the radiator hoses even.)

rfs56trk, do you have some basis for the claim of poor design? I see this thrown out quite frequently when things aren't working right, but the cause of most problems is a lack of maintenance, missing or severely worn parts and/or a complete lack of understanding on the part of the person attempting to fix the problem.

For example, you will often hear, right here at Stovebolt, that Rochester Model B carbs are "awful", that they don't idle well, that they constantly leak, etc., etc. I have two on my truck. They don't leak, they idle fine and the truck runs like a scalded dog. They were rebuilt by a man who knows what he's doing.

The question I always ask is, would the manufacturer sell new vehicles that would fail early because of a poor choice of parts? Model B's were the standard carb for GM six cylinder engines for a number of years. Yes, modern carbs are better, but that's true of everything (in most cases.)

I doubt seriously that the driveline design of GM was poorly designed. I think it was probably state of the art for 1966.


Paul Schmehl CI 6
geek@stovebolt.com
Stovebolt Staff: Geek
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
Quote
but most GM vehicles had a transmission crossmember that bolted to the frame.


I know when trucks moved to an open driveline in the mid 50s, this crossmember wasn't used. The transmission cantilevered behind the bellhousing. I'm not sure when it changed again to a support on the tailhousing, but there was a time when that crossmember was not being used.
It might be a good idea to put the crossmember in to support the tail of the transmission. Your motor being stronger than stock can cause some issues.

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 143
Y
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Y Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 143
Originally Posted by baldeagle
Dellman, I'm not familiar with your year of truck, but most GM vehicles had a transmission crossmember that bolted to the frame.

There was no cross member for 1960-66 Chevys with 3 speed short tail-shaft transmissions that I know of. I have another 66' 3 speed truck and have seen many other trucks of my year with 3 speeds and none of them have cross members. Curiously there are two bolt holes of the tail-shaft where is appears a cross member could be mounted but I believe that virtually the same transmissions were used on other models as well.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
I owned a 66 C-20 for 17 years, it came with a 292 and a 3 speed. During the course of ownership I changed it over to a 3sp OD and had the driveshaft balanced. It had the center bearing that is the subject of this discussion. The center bearing is supported by a narrow mount with 2 bolts to the frame. It is very weak at that point, irregardless of any other issues such as worn u-joints.
It is the same system used in cars from about 58 through 64.
I probably replaced 5 or 6 of the center bearing assemblies during this time, only one of them was due to the actual bearing failing. All of them cracked at the spindly mount bracket.
I had a relative with the same exact truck that came with a 4 speed. It had a substantial center bearing with a collar that supported the assembly. I maintained the truck for him for many years and it had none of the problems that my truck had. I also worked in a number of shops and replaced many of these center bearings on cars and trucks of that era. It was a common problem.

Fred

Last edited by rfs56trk; 08/01/2009 5:04 PM.

1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
My interest is in 50's GMC's because that my father used in his business and what I drove to school. We switched to Internationals in the 60's because we considered them a heavier built truck so I am not familiar with 60's GM. If indeed they did have a weak center bearing design, I would fabricate a cross member and use a heavier center bearing. A machinist can fabricate a bushing to accommodate the larger bore. As for off shore stuff, I despise Chinese stuff, but I just last week bought a center bearing for a 50's 3 ton. The cushion is made in USA. The bearing is SKF, made in Italy. I put Italian machining in the same class as German and Swiss.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0