The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jays58, Youngin' Tut 59, 39Master85), 91 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,095
Posts1,056,468
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 27
5
New Guy
New Guy
5 Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 27
An advisee told me that if I can turn the fan, the motor was not locked up...TRUE OR FALSE??

If FALSE what should I look to turn to make sure??

IF it won't turn...then what? I've restored tractors in the past, but piddlin' my way through trucks now....a lot of the same setup as my old tractors but any advice is Appreciated Greatly!

53 GMC


"If it can't be fixed with a hammer and duct tape, God doesn't want you to have it"
1953 GMC Truck
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
turning the fan just turns the water pump, unless you can hold the belt tight enough to turn the bottom pulley attached to the end of the crank - only possible with all the plugs out, and maybe not then .... you need to either drop the splash pan below the clutch or pull the starter, and use the teeth on the flywheel with a pry bar to really check if it's siezed or not

if it appears siezed, it may be possible to free it up, just depends on why it's stuck, but you could start with some thin lube in the plug holes, like penetrant or diesel, soak it good for a couple days and try again

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,829
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,829
If the truck will roll, put it in high gear, and roll the vehicle back and forth. If the crankshaft turns, the engine isn't locked up. If the wheels slide, DO NOT go to the next logical step and try to tow it, or get it rolling and pop the clutch! That's a good way to bend rods, or break an axle or a driveshaft, or maybe trash a transmission.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
My old 216 was locked up tight and I tried everything that was mentioned above with no luck. When I finally pulled the head one piston was the culprit (number 3) the others looked like new. Since it had a cracked block I salvaged what parts I could but could not get it free until I banged it hard with a hammer and a wood block. Moral of the story you never know what you may find in a 60 year old engine/truck.

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
I would squirt something like Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder and let it set a week or 2 before I did anything. Then remove the tin cover from the bottom of the flywheel housing and try to move the engine with a pry bar. If the engine is totally free, you can put on a pair of gloves and turn it by hand.

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 27
5
New Guy
New Guy
5 Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 27
Thank you red 58, HOTROD Lincoln, Brad Allen, and Crenwelge for your help. I will use yalls advice! Ill squirt some Marvel Mystery oil or some diesel in there to try and make sure all is loosened up when i get back home one day....

Thanks again!
53 GMC


"If it can't be fixed with a hammer and duct tape, God doesn't want you to have it"
1953 GMC Truck
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 181
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 181
Do our trucks not have a crankshaft nose bolt?? Couldn't you simply get a ratchet on there and turn it over? I know there were big changes between 53 & 54.


Bryan
1954 3104 235 "AD" L-6 3-on-the tree
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
J
jdl Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
53 GMC, Make sure that when you try to turn the engine over, have an assistant push in the clutch pedal or hold it down with a 2x4 or something because if your truck is stuck in gear it will be awfully hard to turn the whole thing with your hands. I also posted in your transmission thread about how I got my truck's engine and transmission unlocked.


Jordan D. Long

1954 Chevrolet 3100 1/2-Ton

And some more pictures
Photobucket

I got a 'Possum Pickup... Now I'm the Roadkill King!!! Anyone want to make some Stovebolt Stew?
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 27
5
New Guy
New Guy
5 Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 27
Thank you jdl! that will be really helpful...I can get my younger sister to sit in the seat and hold the clutch in while i strain! haha Thank you for your help!


"If it can't be fixed with a hammer and duct tape, God doesn't want you to have it"
1953 GMC Truck
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
J
jdl Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
No problem, it's the least I can do after all of the help I've gotten from here. Just passin' on the knowledge. grin


Jordan D. Long

1954 Chevrolet 3100 1/2-Ton

And some more pictures
Photobucket

I got a 'Possum Pickup... Now I'm the Roadkill King!!! Anyone want to make some Stovebolt Stew?

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0