Hello fellow Stovebolters!
I have a funny story for all of yall!
So I have begun digging into my 1953 GMC and noticed a problem. A section from the front of the driveshaft to the back of the transmission was missing..So naturally, I began trying to track it down...I looked through a shop manual, looked on this site at diagrams, etc. But no part looked quite like what I needed. I called the man I had bought it from, his dad had been doing a little re-do work on it before he passed away, and I thought the part may still be laying around...well, It wasn't. So I noticed on the knob on top of the gear shifter in the floor there were 5 gears and a reverse..i knew it was supposed to be a four speed...so i was puzzled again! I called the man back and he said he thought his dad just stuck it on there and was gonna paint over it later...Luckily, he didnt! Months later, at the present time, I finally found out new information from a fellow car restorer. He began looking at pics of the transmission and noticed, THAT WAS NOT THE RIGHT/ORIGINAL TRANSMISSION IN IT TO MATCH THE DRIVESHAFT! I, natually as i have said many times over this project, thought "you have got to be kidding me!" So then the picture fell together.....The other man was going to put a new rear-end in it, a new tranny, and all would be solved. Wish I had known that and it would have saved me a lot of trouble! But like anything, the lesson was learned and I gained a lot of knowledge on what WILL NOT work on my ole' truck! I am in discussion with another man about a replacement transmission and driveshaft components to use but just wanted to make sure you all knew what I had been through to simply get to this point!
Like I always say,
Any advice on replacement would be most APPRECIATED!
53 GMC