The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (jmoore, Peggy M, Jon G, John Dlugos, DadsFirstPickup, 1 invisible), 87 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,120
Posts1,056,325
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#55809 01/31/2006 5:11 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I was just reading about a restoration, in Classic Car. The engine rebuilder in the article does not tank blocks any more. Instead, he hangs them in an oven at 600 deg and then when they are cool, removes the ash and shot peens them. Has anyone heard of this before?


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
truckernix,

My wife does that every night at dinner time!


Stu-the-ash-eater

#55811 01/31/2006 12:39 PM
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
T
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
Fred,I just wired a Sunnen engine cleaning system at the local auto machine shop.
The cast iron,block heads,whatever, is heated to around 800 degrees F,all the grease and water jacket deposits and rust is vaporized.Then an after burner incinerates the debris to 2600 degrees,only a hand full of dust left.Then the block is put in another machine if necessary,stainless shot is fired at the block,low velocity,not like a sandblaster,to clean any remaining crud.The iron parts look like the day they were cast.
These two machines cost about the same as a new 4x4 truck,but the shop doesn't have the hassles of all the nasty chemicals and disposal of those chemicals.

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Tony,
this must be the way of the future. The article I was reading involved one of those horrible AMC aluminum blocks so I guess the temperature was a little lower.

Fred


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 19
T
Junior Member
Junior Member
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 19
Sounds better than using the old dishwasher.

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 47
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 47
first time i heard of cleaning a motor like that....


1966 Chevrolet C-10
1971 Chevrolet Camaro RS
1989 Pontiac Bonneville
MY GARAGE...www.dragcitygarage.com
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 343
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 343
I still like using the mother-in-law's tooth brush, I just got remember to get back to the bathroom when I am done :-)


1954 GMC 1/2-ton Longbed
1971 Pontiac LeMans Sport
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 581
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 581
Pretty good Cujo. That's right up there with using her chapstick to sooth the cat's butt.


Larry Kephart
1937 Chevy Utility Express (Deerslayer)
1955 1st 3100 Chevy (BillyBob)
2017 Cadillac ATS-V (Elvira)
Boca Raton, Florida
e-mail: [email protected]

http://www.laroke.com/larryk4674/1998/billybob.htm
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 355
I
Member
Member
I Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 355
I'm currently installing shot blasting machines to clean up the parts. Sand blasting is ok, but its slow. I can out a block or head in this machine and 10 min later I get one back that just need to blown off or machined and painted. The reason some are baking the blocks is because of the waste. Ash can put straight into most landfills, sludge from a tank cleaner cant. It has to go hazardous very expendive to get rid of. One of my machines is a horizontal and the other is a vertical blaster. When i get everything running and up to speed, I will offer this service to others in our area. Imagine, brake drums,heads, tranny cases, blocks,manifolds, and a host of other parts, just as clean as the day there were casted.


Jeff
1947 Chevy 6400 2-ton
In the Gallery
1953 3/4-ton
In the Gallery
It was fun while it lasted

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0