| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,127 Posts1,056,357 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 2 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 2 | Is it possible to rebuild the original single action knee shocks from a 39 Chevy 1/2 ton? If so, does anyone know of a supplier for the parts? Thanks! | | | | | Joined: May 2002 Posts: 155 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2002 Posts: 155 | Yes, you can rebuild them...get a copy of Hemmings Motor News, you'll find parts suppliers there...I think the Filling Station in Oregon carries the parts...
Geoff
68 GMC 3800 56 JD420C w/JD90 Loader
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 502 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 502 | apple hydraulics in new york also rebuilds, and sell kits I believe | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,048 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,048 | I took all 4 of mine apart and cleaned them. They work fine now. Aside from making new gaskets for the cover there is nothing inside the shock that will require a rebuild | | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 | Kip, I was under the impression that these type of shocks have some really tough springs inside them and can be dangerous to take apart? My Dad has a '40 Special Deluxe and the rear shocks need attention and I've been unsure of taking on the project myself. Please offer a few pointers on how you did yours if you could. Thanks Don | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,048 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,048 | Hi Don:
I should have taken some photos of these things while they were apart but unfortunately did not. Maybe someone here can supply some.
There is a fairly powerful spring in there but I did not have a problem with it as the spring was almost fully extended by the time the screws were out of the cap. On the first one I took half of the screws out and replaced them with longer ones to be sure the cap would not fly off. On the others I just clamped them in the vice and held the lever to slightly compress the spring while removing the screws from the cap. I used the same procedure when re-assembling.
There is also another smaller spring (for the check valve) under the small screwed in refill cap but it is fully extended before the cap is free of the threads.
Really, all there is inside is a piston with a built in check valve, a large spring, and the secondary ball check and spring under the refill cap, As far as I could determine if the shock body is not leaking from the bushing where the lever is attached all it will need is cleaning, Be sure you watch how the check valves came apart. Installed wrong and the shock will not work. Also do not refill right to the brim as the oil will expand slightly when hot. I used break fluid, but I’m sure you can find lots of opinions there.
| | |
| |
| |