The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (MNSmith, Otto Skorzeny), 92 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,717
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 23
S
sly
Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 23
I purchased an original flatbed from a 3/4 ton to put on my 1/2 short w/b 51. The 1/2 ton frames taper out at the rear. However, 3/4 tons had straight rails and I'm sure I will need to shorten it to make it look proportionally correct
Is there a good way to mount this bed on my truck so that it will look right?

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
No. You'd have to cut it down and fab up some rails to match it to your 1/2-tonner's wider frame. Otherwise, you'll be lengthening the wheelbase on your truck to match the deck. Sound like a nuisance to you?


1951 3800

Be the change you want to see.
-hotshoe
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 23
S
sly
Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 23
The frame rails start out at 39" apart behind the cab and end up at 46" at the end. So I think I can fab some 46" cross members to attach to the bed's cross members. As for the length, I dont think it will be too much of a nuisance to have it shortened.
My other concern are the boards that run along the top of the rails to mount the bed on. As I mentioned the rails are 46" apart at the end, but they reach 46" just behind the rear axle. So there is about 18" where the rails are the same distance apart, but the portion of rails behind the cab to the back of the rear axle are tapering out. This creates an angle along the top of each rail that seems to prevent mounting a solid wood beam down the length of each rail. Any ideas?
Thanks very much for your help.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Sounds like a 3/4 ton frame would just about bolt under that flat bed, and would probably look the cleanest of your choices?

Grigg

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 13
1
New Guy
New Guy
1 Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 13
Get out the tape measure, saws and grinder.....anything is possible if you have the drive to do it.
Go for it and take pics.....

Last edited by 1950gmc77; 07/10/2009 4:08 AM.
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 23
S
sly
Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 23
I think I'm going to fab new cross members, move the the back one in so that it sits on top of the frame rails and then shorten the bed to look right on the short wheel base. If I get real frustrated I will throw the box and fenders back on it.

By the way, it was a clean 50 3/4 ton flat bed that got me headed this way in the first place. Matter of fact I almost bought it. He wanted $3500.00. If he would have taken $2500.00 I would have.

Thanks for the help guys.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0