The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Charles in CA, TrknGMC), 84 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,633
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#552726 07/05/2009 2:13 AM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 86
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 86
I just finished making the new flatbed for Emily and an ready to prep/prime/paint it. For maximum protection of the underside I am considering using POR-15. Since the metal is all new, would a good degreasing with Xylene, then prep with phosphoric acid be enough before the POR-15? Are there other products that would be better on the new metal that would give the same level of protection?

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
I know POR recommend using their 'Metal Ready' spray.
(I suppose they would,as it's another one of their products!):D

It leaves a nickel plate look on clean new metal and seems to give a good 'key' for the POR-15.
I've used it extensively on mine and have been pleased with the results.
Just remember about the UV sensitivity.It should be O.K. on the underside though....


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 275
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 275
If you really want to protect the underside, get it coated with Rhino Liner. But POR-15 works great to. And I've never had any problems with adhesion on mew metal.

Frank


No better smell than that of fresh paint. I've been building and painting cars/trucks for 47 years. Not gonna stop now.
http://www.coxcustomcars.com/




Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0