The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Phak1), 186 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,242
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 34
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 34
Did anyone ever convert a half-ton panel to a camper? Does that actually work? Or is it too small? I have a 1951 half-ton panel. Making it into a camper would get my wife connected to my rusty hobby.

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
I've used a couple panels as campers, or maybe rolling tents grin you won't get all the 'luxuries' in it that folks expect in a camper, but sure beats pitching a tent every evening - keep it simple and it can be quite comfortable - like add a 'subfloor' with bed on top and long pull out drawer under for stashing supplies - use the original bucket style seats and make them easily removeable to put out for camp chairs and give more room inside ... lotsa possibilities, be creative, don't try to make a VW Kombi clone

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
Robert Howard From oldgmctrucks.com He did a nice job of photo journalling his trip on the ALCAN highway in his panel. You will have to login or sign on to the site. You will have to check out his album too.


Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Leo Offline
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
I hope to take mine camping when it's finished. I won't be doing a lot of retrofitting, just use it to haul my gear and a place to sleep at night.

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 34
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 34
I've camped out in mine a few times, but without ventilation it's stuffy in there and there really is nowhere to put your gear once you've rolled out the bed, and there ain't no way to open the rear door from inside, you gotta climb over the front seats to get out, which ain't easy when you "gotta go" in the middle of the night. Of course, I did all my 'real' camping in a plush Dodge Van conversion with all the camping luxuries like sunroofs, screened windows, sink, frig, etc.

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
Boy Wonder and I have used my '62 Suburban for deer camp a few times, and we've also slept in the back of it for out-of-town car shows. As said earlier, it was basically a rolling tent.

We have an air mattress that just barely squashes in between the wheel wells. Don't latch the rear doors at night, and you've got your escape for when nature calls. Crack the side windows for ventilation.

One thing that'd make it a little nicer was if we had cots above the wheel wells, rather than an air mattress between them. That'd give us a little room to get dressed, and we could sit up, etc.

I know where there's a '64-'66 panel that was used as an ambulance at one time... it has a raised ceiling on it and rear barn doors. It'd be a great tow rig and cross-country hauler for me and the boy, but my wife would probably not enjoy it as much. If it's still there in a couple years, I think I'll try to get it. Too many projects, and not enough storage space right now.

-Brad


SOUTHERN FALL GABfest
October 6 ~ Commerce, Georgia
Details here!


Never Pee on an Electric Fence.
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 446
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 446
Red58 is right. Build a sub-floor with a bed on top and drawers under for supplies.

My wife and I do this all the time in my '64 truck (I will not mention the make and model here). The truck has a canopy in which I built a bed with storage under. Sure beats a tent. It's also nice for a quick weekend camping trip instead of hooking up the camp trailer and draging it around.


Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0