The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Patharr, KEVINSKI, 1 invisible), 236 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,230
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#549311 06/24/2009 5:08 AM
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 158
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 158
what are the pros and cons of these transmissions. And can they handle highway speeds?

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
A gearbox is a gear box, top gear is 1:1 ratio, same as most every other 'box that isn't overdrive.

My '40 has it's original 4spd , so after 69 yrs, I guess it handles the road just fine. In fact , I prefer it to the 3 spd, I like the little noise that comes from the straight cut gears , and I enjoy the skill required to slip the non syncro cogs quietly thru. Also its stronger than the 3spd of its day.

Now if it is the original engine you might be worried about , then diff ratios are to be considered.............. smile

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 158
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 158
Well it dont have the original engine it has a 1955 235 and I'm going to use a 14 bolt rearend out of a 1981 chevrolet 3/4 ton truck with 3.73 gears.

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,048
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,048
I have the original 4 Spd. crash box in my ’41, coupled with a ’53 PG 235. It seems just fine. I would say those straight cut gears are bullet proof. You will, however, need bigger speakers for your radio. But the whine does go away in 4th gear.


1941 Chevy Master 3/4-Ton
In the Gallery
More images in the Bolt Bucket

Born to fish, the truck is only a hobby.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0