01 July 2014 Update
1941 Chevy Master 3/4-Ton
Join the discussion about this truck
From Kip :
Well, it's time for another update for the old truck.
I purchased the 1941 Chevy 3/4-ton in September of 2005, and got it on the road in April of 2010. Though I’ve never taken the cab’s shell off of the frame, EVERYTHING else has been apart and rebuilt. I consider myself a fair mechanic but the project would have been a lot more difficult without the help of many Stovebolters.
I have decided not to paint it as I want it to look like an old truck and it seems to look that way now.
The engine that was in it (a 1949 car 216) has been replaced with a 1953 Powerglide (full pressure) 235. A local shop did the machine work including 0.030 bore 0.010 grind on the crank and hardened exhaust valves.
I did the disassembly and reassembly. The engine has the 216 manifolds and rocker cover so it looks somewhat original. The clutch and unsynchronized 4 speed were rebuilt and are still in the truck. The steering and suspension are all original, but the ring and pinion is now 3.38.
The door art was a winter project. It is a tribute to my Dad who owned a Sinclair gas station at the address on the logo.
I really enjoy talking with people at local shows and cruse nights. The younger generations are really amazed at the things that one had to know and do to drive back in the '40’s.
I have about 1700 hours into it and parts from 27 states. It has about 5,000 miles on it since 2010.
I drive the truck almost daily in good weather, go to cruse nights at least once a week and last weekend I was invited to show it at the Henry Ford museum / Greenfield Village. What a blast !!
I’m currently working on a ’27 Model “T” roadster hotrod with a ’54 Chrysler engine, but I will never give up my Stovebolt !!.
Kip is one of those guys who have keep this place a fun and informative place to be. He's been with us a long, long time. And has provided us with a nice stack of Tech Tips:
Bolters Building the Site! Thanks Kip and thanks for the update! ~ Editor
06 July 2008 Update
From Kip :
I was thinking that it is about time to update my Gallery entry.
I’ve had my 1941 Chevy 3/4-ton truck now for two and a half years. I have 1142 hours into it! I have done all of the work myself except some major body work on the rear fenders. As I do not have a parts truck, I have accumulated parts from Bolters in 14 states and two countries -- all found through the the Stovebolt site. If it wasn’t for this great site, I’m sure I’d have given up long ago.
About the only things on the truck that have not been apart are the engine block and head. The engine runs fine so, considering my budget restraints, I see no reason to tear it down.
At different times over the past two-plus years, I have driven the truck around the block for a total of 17 miles.
Some of the major items completed so far are:
Those are might kind words there Kip! But YOU are also one of the ones who make this a great place. AAMOF, Kip has one heck of a good Tech Tip on Spotting Art Deco trucks. We keep adding to it, as Kip sends us more information and pictures. But already, it's a tool box of helpful info. Big Mahalo to you! ~ Editor
21 December 2005
I have been a manufacturing engineer at F*** for 35 years, but decided on a Stovebolt because it’s what my Dad taught me basic mechanics on. I learned fractions at four years old from the wrenches I would get for Dad. Now I'm using many inherited tools to rebuild this 1941 3/4-ton Chevy [ pix ] .
I found it on eBay. It was up near Duluth and it essentially came right out of the barn. I think maybe it was used as a small fire truck. It has 7800GVW stenciled on the other side and rear springs to support those numbers.
Plans are for a mostly stock "driver." I'm enjoying working on it a piece at a time -- cleaning and rebuilding as I go. The brakes are done and the 216 will be next. With any luck the body work will get farmed out over this winter. Maybe I'll take it all back apart and do a frame up later on. For now I'm just enjoying the tinkering.
I was reading too many techno-thrillers anyway. I’m keeping the usual log -- $, hours, stuff completed and a list of parts needed and where maybe to get them. Recently found artillery wheels and a steering wheel on this site. Maybe someday I'll figure out how the horn button and wiring are assembled.
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-ya Shop