| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,141 Posts1,056,488 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 121 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 121 | I know that there are differences in the 55 2nd thru 59 Chevy and GMC rear ends but wondering about drums and cables. Swapping out the stock 3.90 rear in my 55 2nd for a 56 GMC 3.08 Spicer unit. Doing some research on a GMC site that says the drums and cables are near impossible to get. Numbers in the parts sites plus my local parts store, show no difference and now I am asking the experts. From what I can gather, it is an easy bolt in with only some brake line bracket changes. I was hoping to use everything off mine as in backing plates, shoes, drums, cables etc. Anyone try this?
1955 Chevy 3100
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | GMC Spicer 6 lug drums are stepped on the sides. Chev drums will not go on enough to cover the complete shoe. I have some drums if you need some.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 121 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 121 | [quote=Pre '68 Dave]GMC Spicer 6 lug drums are stepped on the sides. Chev drums will not go on enough to cover the complete shoe.
So, if I was to use everything including the Chevy backing plate, would that work or is there some sort of back space on the axle?
Last edited by hb32; 06/19/2009 7:35 AM.
1955 Chevy 3100
| | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | I used the Chevy shoes, cylinders and related parts with the spicer drums. I couldn't find cables so I don't have parking brakes.
By the way I did find new drums listed somewhere but they were extremely expensive. Luckily mine were turnable. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 59 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 59 | FYI, 1958 & 1959 Chevrolet 1/2 tons with positraction rear axles also used the Spicer rear axles | | |
| |
| |