| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
2 members (Joe H, moparguy),
118
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,093 Posts1,056,480 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 6 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 6 | Can someone give me pros and cons on either using bias ply tires vs radial tires on a 1953 3100. I plan to use the original 16" wheels and if going radial use radial tubes. Also does anyone recommend a tire size?
Thanks in advance for you assistance | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | The main isue with using modern radials on the original rims is that the rims are very narrow. They're actually too narrow for most modern radial. The 215/85/16 is about the only size that is close to working. I would not advise using tubes, it is illegal to install tubes in modern tubeless radial tires, as it can/will cause tire failure. On 1 peice wheels, tubes should not be required.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 | This is possibly one of the hottest topics on the SBP. I have a 49 half ton. I ran Cooper 650-16 for years and they finally wore out. All the talk was 'get radials' so I bought a set of Uniroyal 215-85R16. When the dealer saw how narrow my rims were he was very reluctant to install them. He was also concerned about my not having a safety bead. He said the company would not warranty the tires if they were installed on a rim which did not meet the width specs which in this case are 5.5 or 6". He lost a sale and I had no tires. I tried elsewhere and had the same reaction. So I bought a set of Firestone Deluxe Champion 650-16 bias-ply tires. No trouble installing and unlike the old bias types they don't flat spot overnight. They do follow the ruts in the road however. I like them and would recommend a set of good bias-ply tires but I am not averse to installing radials but on different rims. Now having said all this that same dealer sold me a set of radials for a 51 half ton I was building for a friend but that was a few years ago. And you will get many comments, both pro and con to using either type of tire on your truck. in my case I drive about 2000 miles per year and mainly about 40 MPH although on the highway, where I seldom venture - I do 55. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 145 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 145 | I have bias ply Firestone deluxe champion 6.50-16's on a 54.They were on the truck when I got it so haven't had anything to compare to,but they are a handful steering at highway speeds on anything but a smooth road.We have some highways in poor shape around here and the ones that have had a repave about three feet wide down the center of a two lane highway are the worst. Murray | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 1,424 ODSS President | | ODSS President Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 1,424 | I guess my experience is what it is... over 45 K miles on stock rims, 215 85R 16's, daily driver year 'round. Last week was a 1K road trip.
~ Cosmo 1949 Chevy Half Ton Rocinante, like Don Quixote, he is awkward, past his prime, and engaged in a task beyond his capacities. "...my good horse Rocinante, mine eternal and inseparable companion in all my journeys and courses." ...Don Quixote, Cervantes "If you come to a fork in the road, take it."...Yogi Berra "Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength." ...Eric Hoffer
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 43 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 43 | | | | | | Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 6 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 6 | To all
Thanks for the information on tires. I will post later once I have decided what to purchase.
Bigblue29 Thanks for the pics. Your truck color is almost the same as mine.
Dave | | |
| |
| |