Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (BCBill, Gdads51, Lightholder's Dad, joe apple, Hawkman, greenie-reddy, TUTS 59),
190
guests, and
0
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,101 Posts1,056,176 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#53991 12/26/2005 4:00 PM | Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 86 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 86 | I've pulled the 235 engine to detail it and in the process the Hydraulic lifters have bled down. It's on a stand and has been upside down and rotated every which way and now I can't get the valves to work to find #1 TDC. There's alot of play in the push rods that's why I suspect the lifters. If I put oil in it and spin the oil pump will it be enough to get the oil back in the lifters or should I disassemble and fill the lifters manually like you would do in a rebuild? Thanks for the help.
John
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
| | |
#53992 12/26/2005 6:51 PM | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | Do you know if your lifters have a hole in the middle of the pushrod seat?
If so you can do what I do to all the engines I work on that have hydraulic lifters with a vent hole. I grind a small groove from the center on the pushrod bottom out to the edge. Chev did this from the factory on 1950-52 PG engines to keep the lifter purged of air. The lifters may still clack for a few minutes but will self bleed.
This also cures high speed lifter bleed down problems.
If your lifters do not have a vent hole it would be best to bench bleed as outlined in the shop manual.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | |
#53993 12/26/2005 7:00 PM | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | John,
My personal preference for finding TDC doesn't rely on the valves, but the timing mark on the flywheel.
When building a new engine, we would put the lifters in a coffee can full of oil for several days to "fill" them prior to installation.
I would think you could install the engine as is, and in the course of starting , it will automatically fill the lifters and the rig will run. It might take a moment to smooth out, but the lifters WILL pump up and things will be fine.
Stuart | | |
#53994 12/26/2005 9:32 PM | Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 86 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 86 | Dave, I haven't had the lifters out so I don't know if they have the holes. I do know that they were "springy" when you grabbed the push rod and pushed down towards the cam.(Now,I wonder how they beld down? L.O.L)I want to avoid pulling the rockers and associated stuff to get to the rockers but if I have to I will.
Stuart, The flywheel is not on the engine since it's on a stand. I cleaned and painted the motor, put on a few chrome goodies and didn't want to get into the guts since the compression was great and it ran good. I'll try filling with oil and spinning the oil pump with it on the stand and then decide if further teardown in needed.
John
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
| | |
#53995 12/27/2005 2:08 AM | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | John,
I sure wouldn't think any additional disassembly would be required just because the hydraulic lifter weren't pumped up.
With a crankcase full of oil, a charged battery and all plugs removed, spinning the motor for half a minute should get everything where it belongs. For some reason, I think the lifters actually have to move in their bores to fill properly (?).
After installing the engine, you can find TDC, install the distributor, do a okie time and your ready for lift off
Stuart | | |
#53996 12/27/2005 2:15 AM | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | Johnny, you are worrying about nothing. If it ran fine before and had good compression, don't worry about it now. When you get it back together and ready to go, adjust them as per the tech section article. | | |
#53997 12/27/2005 2:10 PM | Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 86 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 86 | Thanks guys I do tend to worry about dumb stuff. You're probably right Stuart about the lifters needing to move in order to get oil. I'll let you know what else I mess up when it goes back in the truck!
John
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
| | |
#53998 12/28/2005 8:02 PM | Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 | Johnny,just get it back running by the Decatur meet.. regards...Fred Redryder pixMy HotrodA veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option. | | |
| |