The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (dt235sd, Rich'sToys, wilbur53, Stovebolt48), 173 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,288
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#535432 05/06/2009 11:59 PM
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 33
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 33
I recapped this radio, it was DOA when I got it after recap I still do not have the tubes to light and the vibrator is not buzzing either. I can hear the transformer hum. What would be the safe approach next check the primary ? I rebuilt a Zenith cabinet radio with great success but this one has me stumped. [email protected]

Last edited by che57vy; 05/07/2009 12:00 AM.
che57vy #535444 05/07/2009 12:55 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I ran into to one like this the other day. With the vibrator out, it was drawing plenty of current and there wasn't enough voltage to light the tubes. I clipped the heavy transformer lead leaving everything else attached and the voltage recovered with the tubes lighting up. The transformer has a capacitor inside the can and the can is filled with pitch. In this situation the cure is to replace the transformer with another one from a parts radio.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 171
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 171
Also try unbolting [free from gound] your spark plate. How many amps does it draw? should not be more than 6

BILL #536711 05/11/2009 8:05 PM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
One of our members has managed to open the bottom of one of these transformers and replace the shorted capacitor. I didn't know that this was possible. I have previously experienced a tar like substance leaking out of a shorted transformer and I assumed that they were potted. As it turns out, I don't think they are filled with tar. I think the windings are probably covered but the capacitor is accessible.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!

Moderated by  truckernix 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0