Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
2 members (NJC, Shade Baby),
145
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,110 Posts1,056,241 Members48,437 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2009 Posts: 107 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2009 Posts: 107 | Hello all, My name is Steve and am new to the site and thanks for having me. I own a titled 1952 Chevy 1/2 ton short bed and a spare truck with no title. The no title truck has a better cab on it so I would like to move the cab over to my titled truck. My concern is about the serial numbers. There is a number on the driver side door but that’s all I have found thus far. I have been reading online and can find no solid evidence of another number on the truck. My question is, are there any other numbers on the cab of this year. I want to stay legal and all but can not see titling an old truck that is for parts. I found this site that has a page regarding serial numbers but can not make out all the data. Any thoughts or comments are greatly appreciated. Also, if any part of this is not clear, please let me know and I will be happy to try and explain further. Thanks in advance for the help. http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/chevyresto/52index.html http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/chevyresto/52057.html | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | Welcome, Steve. What you need to find out is just how the '52 is titled, engine number or serial number. many states used the engine number prior to '55, so it could very well be titled that way. If it is of the serial number, you could pop the spot wels holding it to the original cab, then simply spot weld it to the new cab. I beleive the number might be stamped on the frame as well, somewhere on the top of the left side frame rail near the steering box. Don't quote me on that, though. I know that it is on the '55-'59 trucks, not 100% sure on the earlier trucks. Again, check with the local DMV to be certain on what the laws are for your state.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Steve,
Chevrolet did not put any ID codes on truck frames during the Advance-Design years (1947 through 1955-1st series). However, some people have reported that they have found a number stamped on the frame - this was done sometime after the truck left the factory. CA is one state that some people have reported did this - it is not clear if this was done when the truck was first title/registered or if this was done at some later time in the truck's life (by the original dealer or by the State Police).
As Bill stated above, there is a Vehicle Number (sometimes called a Vehicle ID) that is located on the driver's side hinge-post. There is also an Engine Number pressed into the pad/ledge just to the rear of where the distributor enters the block.
The use of the Engine Number is problematic because the engines in these old truck were most likely been changed over the years.
I had a 1948 Panel Truck that was first bought/titled in VA using the engine number. I have a 1954 Suburban that was first bought/titled in VA using the door-post VID. VA and most states have no on-line title-records for vehicles older than 1972.
Tim
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 131 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 131 | Many people buy "new" cabs/replacement cabs, engines etc... And merging 2 trucks into one is also common. Move the titled VIN to the new cab. No fuss. If you own both legally - don't sweat it. And welcome to the bolt! 1952 Chevy 3804My 1952 in the Gallery The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke | | | | | Joined: May 2009 Posts: 107 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2009 Posts: 107 | Thanks for all the help guys. The title I have matches the ID on the driver’s side door . So that should be good. I checked with the Idaho (where the truck is currently) DMV and I think the lady was misunderstanding my request. She wanted me to file for a conditional title or something like that. For a parts truck, no thanks .
I think I will buy a new tag from Jim Carter or someplace and use the other cab then.
Any idea on where I can purchase the items I need to punch the numbers onto the new plate?
Thanks again for everyone’s input and assistance.
Take care, Steven No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2009 Posts: 1,644 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2009 Posts: 1,644 | Any tool shop or hardware store should have # and letter punchs of the right size. Pete | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | | | | | | Joined: Sep 2015 Posts: 3 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2015 Posts: 3 | I just bought a 52 2500. The engine Serial Number is 3769716 and the VIN is AKCA384729. I'm trying to find out if I have a 216, 235 or a 261. Can anyone advise me? Also, a friend of mine offered to convert from a three to a five window. Is this advisable?
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2011 Posts: 188 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2011 Posts: 188 | I just bought a 52 2500. The engine Serial Number is 3769716 and the VIN is AKCA384729. I'm trying to find out if I have a 216, 235 or a 261. Can anyone advise me? Also, a friend of mine offered to convert from a three to a five window. Is this advisable? Using http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/vin/vinbuster.html as the guide I get nothing. Using http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/enginecodes.htmUsing the numbers provided, I'm not getting anything that on that engine either. Check out http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/engine_identification.htm for the engine numbers to help you ID what it is. As far as the conversion from 3 to 5 window, it will depend on how good your friend is with metal working. Sounds like a huge ordeal that could possibly have you looking for a new cab to undo what was done. | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | I beleive the number might be stamped on the frame as well, somewhere on the top of the left side frame rail near the steering box. Don't quote me on that, though. I know that it is on the '55-'59 trucks, not 100% sure on the earlier trucks. There are no numbers on a '55 first and earlier Chevrolet frame. Some '55 second reportedly have them. All '56-'59 do. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | AKCA384729 is an Engine Serial Number 1952 216 assembled in Flint, MI and installed in a 3600/3800 This code was often used for Title/Registration
3769716 is the block casting code used on a 58-62 truck 235 You have a replacement engine that does not match the registration/title (very common).
52 2500 ?? what does 2500 refer to?
You might have a hard time registering this truck.
The Engine Serial Number is found on the block, to the rear of where the distributor goes into the block. Post it here and people will will help ID the engine.
Is there a Vehicle ID plate between the hinges on the driver's side? If yes, post the ID code here. | | |
| |