| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
3 members (carbking, DaveV, 1 invisible),
81
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,136 Posts1,056,427 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 615 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 615 | From these people: Paint available on line Been hemmin and haw'n for a while ..just decided to by some paint and get this project painted in a few months..I did have questions that I sent these people and they did respond... Looks like it will run me about $350(just paint) to paint the '55. The other day I drove past an autopaint store and stopped in. I asked how much for a gallon of Omaha Orange base coat and clear His price was $770.00 and he said if I didn't like the color match he'd tweak it @ $100/hr. At those prices I'll make this over-the-counter stuff work. Keith | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 684 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 684 | i have been painting the '49 with their Acrylic Ureathane. It looks fine. I don't know how it will hold up over time. The truck will always be stored in doors as long as I have it, so I think it should be OK | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 502 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 502 | Is that for base/clear or did you buy three gallons ? It would seem that where you bought the paint is a bit pricey, but there are outlets for paint which are more reasonable. Dan
Remember your freedom - US Veterans provided it. 101st Screaming Eagles
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 615 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 615 | I think this is reasonable actaually Dan..for about $333.00 I got 2 gallons of base(2 diff colors), 2 gallons of clear coat, 1 gallon of 2k primer plus all necessary activators and reducers.
Keith | | | | | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 | Price is going to depend a lot on what paint line and chemistry you buy. Maybe your local jobber could quote you something cheaper? You don't need the whiz-bang expensive base and clear for normal colors that aren't metallic or pearl. You can get away with cheaper base and clear if you don't have to worry about the viscosity and film build of the paint interfering with how the flake/pearl lays down and looks.
Paint & Body Shop moderator A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 502 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 502 | Keith, After spelling out what you got I'd have to agree that it was a good deal. Have fun painting. Dan
Remember your freedom - US Veterans provided it. 101st Screaming Eagles
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 443 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 443 | It sounds good to me. I got 2 gallons of Tartan Turquoise in single stage urethane with the reducer & hardner for just under $170.00 (before tax). So, if you got 2 stage with the clear coat I think you did OK. 1957 Chevrolet 1/2-ton Stepside LB in the Gallery My Photobucket shots The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." - John Stuart Mill (1806 - 1873) | | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 615 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 615 | Ya we will see how it works out. Nothing I have is the "best". I'll borrow my brothers Sears compressor..buy a couple of cheap guns on the internet etc. The paint won't be the best but certainly not the worst. I'm banking on the fact that I will color sand the clear coat and buff-possibly color sand and re-shoot the clear to give me good results. I've done a fair share of furniture that way..you can't beat the combination of flatness and gloss. Well that's the plan anyway..
Thanks for the comments
Keith | | | | | Joined: May 2007 Posts: 275 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2007 Posts: 275 | Cheap clear will yellow over time. Even if it's not in the elements. Cheap base coat won't cover with just 3 coats. After you get it outside in the sun, you will see through the thin coats because the base didn't cover.
The cheap guns, will give you headaches trying to get them adjusted properly, and you'll spend days sanding out the runs and the orange peel in the clear. After you sand through the edges and ridges, you'll have to reshoot the base coat and clear to clean it up.
The little Sears compressor isn't going to give you enough air go completely around the vehicle. You'll have to wait for it to build up pressure. While it's filling the tank, your paint is going to start setting, and will be rough.
I've been building cars and trucks since I was 26 and own my own body shop. I know what I'm talking about.
Why do you think that getting a vehicle painted by a professional is so expensive?
Frank
No better smell than that of fresh paint. I've been building and painting cars/trucks for 47 years. Not gonna stop now. http://www.coxcustomcars.com/ | | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 615 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 615 | For whatever reason I think I can do a good job anyway..I'm either a genius or an idiot...hard to tell the difference,.
Appreciate your thoughts thou..
Keith | | |
| |
| |