| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,131 Posts1,056,367 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#53407 12/13/2005 3:57 PM | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 212 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 212 | This may not be the proper site for this question, but here goes: I'm beginning to see a little light at the end of the tunnel with my big bolt, and am already thinking about my next project.
I would like to have a car from the 1949 through the 1952 era. I know where I can get a 6 cylinder motor from a wrecked 1963 car. I think the motor is in good shape and doesn't have a lot of miles on it.
My question is: Can I use that motor in one of the old cars: Will it bolt in, or will it take a lot of cutting and fitting. If it won't bolt directly in, I will let it pass, because I'm not up to cutting frames, installing new cross members, etc.
Thanks for any help or suggestions. Allen | | |
#53408 12/13/2005 4:03 PM | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 | That depends on the motor and what you want to put it in. In otherwords what are the motor mounts like. Because any (L6)motor will fit any 50/60's car /truck. ALL L6's are the same length, the 292 is 1.75'' taller. 302's are just bigger. It's a matter of major work in the mounting dept.
Jim & Caroline The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense." Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
| | |
#53409 12/13/2005 5:45 PM | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,513 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,513 | 1962 was the last year for the "drop in" engine into an older car (235 or 261). A 1963 engine won't drop in anything earlier. Some of the earlier cars (1952 and ? )also have a different mounting arrangement that requires a block of the same year to mount without fabrication. Check the mounting arrangement for each year car you're interested in.
Curt B.
1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod You Tube | | |
#53410 12/13/2005 11:13 PM | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | The 63 up engine is a whole different animal. It will take a lot of modifications to install it. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | |
#53411 12/14/2005 1:54 PM | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 212 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 212 | Thanks guys. I was afraid it would probably not work without a lot of modification, but hoped otherwise. I will let it pass. Allen | | |
| |
| |