The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Justhorsenround, Otto Skorzeny, Hotrod Lincoln), 107 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,485
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 36
N
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
N Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 36
I have a 47 3/4 ton chevy with a 235 in it that needs to be rebuilt, I want to replace it with a moderne 292 and keep my 4speed trans and running gear. Has anyone done this yet they sell the motor mounts but I cant find a bellhouseing adapter. what do I need and is it woth it.

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 239
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 239
I'm not 100% sure, others will chime in, but here is my understandings. It sounds as though you've found motor mounts, probably side? mounts. The bellhousing flange on a 292 is the same as a smallblock. Of this I can say for sure. I assume your trans mounts are on the bellhousing, as the later trucks are. I believe the SM420 4 speed uses the same mounting pattern in the front whether it is open or closed driveline. That would make me believe that a bell housing from a 55.2 to 66 V8 truck or 63-66 straight 6 will work on both ends.

Devin


If you can't hose it out it ain't a truck

55 3100
63 Corvair Monza
64 El Camino
72 240Z
01 Suburban
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Which '47 do you have, Art Deco body or Advance Design? It does make a difference. On the Art Deco truck, the clutch and brake pedals mount to the bellhousing, whcih makes things more difficult. If it is the Advance Design, then doing the bellhousing swap should work. I beleive that some alterations to the crossmember is needed to use that bellhousing, as they are shaped different.
Another option would be to consider a 261, which is a bolt in using the existing bellhousing.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Which transmission do you have? Isn't the '47 4-speed the old crashbox version regardless of wether you have an Art Deco or an Advance Design? If so the later bellhousing that fits the motor you want to use won't fit the transmission. You need an SM420 which was used '48 to 60-something instead.

If it currently has a 235 in it someone swapped the motor, and may have already updated the transmission.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 36
N
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
N Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 36
This is true my grandpa had this p/u from before I was born he paid $75 for it. Grand pa put in the 235 it had the 216 and a 3 speed trans. Gramps put in the 4 speed I think out of a 49 but I'm not sure. I just started this project, the truck ran when gramps parked it in 1983. I'm only going to do the money dump thing to keep it in the family.

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 36
N
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
N Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 36
I found some side motor mounts that will work from stovebolters for $125. I want to update the engine but keep the outher gear just to save $. If I have to I will change the trans over to a modern type of 5 speed.

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 36
N
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
N Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 36
I don't know if I have the art deco or advanced design is there an easy way to tell. This beautiful P/U is a real pice of work some friends call it yard art. They think it will never run again so I'm on a mission. thanks for any and all help I'm going to need a lot more info.

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
The art deco looks like a 46 on back, & the Advance design looks like a 48 up.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Take a peak in the galary here and tell us which it looks like, a '46 or a '48...


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 36
N
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
N Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 36
O.K. Thanks I have an advanced design 1947. I'm going to start looking for a replacement engine at my local pick a part yard. I want to find a 292 and I have no time line so I'm going to try and be picky. The bellhousing I need might be hard to find also. The Trans in the truck is a SM420 the engine 235.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0