The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hotrod Lincoln, Otto Skorzeny, Cletus1950, Wayne67vert, Peggy M, 59 fleet), 163 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,106
Posts1,056,217
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 615
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 615
55, 2nd series here....235 engine...

Seems that over the entire 30 years I've owned this engine and its predacessor the accelerator pump has never worked properly. I usually have to shoot the engine with starting fluid to get it started. Pumping the pedal often is not enough. Also on acceleration there is hesitation. The vacuum advance is working.
This past month I bought a kit just because..well it was time to rebuild. The carb had sat a couple of years without running. I've noticed different cup materials are used for the pump. This time I had leather. I see no squirting of gas or other evidence that it actualy is pumping gas and after the rebuild the engine is dry at startup and I get that gasp when going from idle to acceleration.

Just curious if my situation is typical? Is this just the nature of the beast or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Keith

Is this just the nature of the beast or am I missing something?

Last edited by Slickriffs; 04/27/2009 2:44 AM.
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
My Rochester doesn't actually spray gas but it does come out a port inside and it doesn't hesitate at all. I usually use what comes in the kit unless I suspect it has a problem.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
C
Carburetion specialist
Carburetion specialist
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
The leather is far superior to any of the artifical materials for an accelerator pump.

Having said that, even a leather pump will NOT pump fuel if there is no fuel in the bowl. Modern fuel tends to evaporate from the bowl through the bowl vent (my 390 will evaporate both carbs in less than 2 hours in the Missouri summer!).

To determine if the pump is/is not the problem try the following:

(A) Start the engine. Now you KNOW there is fuel in the bowl.
(B) Stop the engine.
(C) Remove the air cleaner
(D) Open the choke butterfly
(E) Work the throttle from closed to open, you should see a squirt of fuel enter the venturi area. If not, something amiss in the pump circuit (pump, check valve, clogged passage, etc.).

I gave in years ago, and installed an electric pump to fill the carburetor bowls prior to starting.

Jon.


Good carburetion is fuelish hot air
The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify.
If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!
The Carburetor Shop

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0