The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jon G, baldeagle, WICruiser, Peggy M), 253 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,106
Posts1,056,214
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#53130 12/04/2005 4:29 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 23
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 23
I have a 1949 3600 pickup. I am pulling it apart and I am stuck with the gas tank. How do I separate the tank from the gas line going to the engine? I have the tank unstrapped, but I cannot see how to separate the tank under the truck. I see the cutoff screw, but cannot figure out how to get the tank ouf of the truck.

Any ideas? I know most of you know...so thanks in advance.

/Spencer Rogers

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Mine has a short pipe nipple coming out of the tank, and then the valve screwed on to it.
To remove the tank I would drain the gas and unscrew the valve and pull the tank out.
Hope this helps


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 51
'
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
' Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 51
I have a '46 and when I pulled my gas tank out I unstrapped it as did you, then I was also able to see on the passenger side the petcock valve and where the fuel line goes in. My floor was out which made it easier, I didn't have to get under the truck.

Scott

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
The bottom of the tank has a pipe thread on it with an extension that goes thru the donut and then thru the floor into the valve. You need to unscrew it counterclockwise from the tank. Spray a penetrant up in there a day before twisting on it so you don't break off the fitting in the tank.

Curt B.


1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod
You Tube
#53134 12/05/2005 10:55 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 311
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 311
You might want to spray that penetrant every day for 2 or 3 days before you unscrew it. It is a real PITA to fix THAT particular part on your truck. Don't ask.


Always get a 2nd opinion, especially if I am the source of the 1st opinion.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0