The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Otto Skorzeny, Barry Martak, Hawkman, stlcardinalsguy), 108 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,088
Posts1,056,414
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 14
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 14
I HAVE A 55 GMC... SOMEONE LET WATER GET IN THE ENGINE...
PISTONS ARE FUSED TO WALLS...
I NEED TO TAKE THE HEAD OFF TO SOAK AND CLEAN THE PISTONS WITH TRANNY FLUID TO UNSTICK THE ENGINE...
CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO TAKE THE HEAD OFF CORRECTLY? I SEE THERE ARE THE NORMAL BOLTS TO TAKE OUT, BUT THE PUSHRODS COME UP INTO THE HEAD ALSO, SO DO I JUST UNSCREW THE BOLTS ON EACH PUSH ROD AND POP THAT HEAD OFF? I DONT WANT TO SCREW ANYTHING UP...
ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED OR CAN SOMEONE DIRECT ME TO SOME LITERATURE I CAN READ UP ON THIS PROCEDURE? THANKS GUYS

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I would remove the rocker arm and then remove the pusrods. Also if you leave the manifold on you can use it to lift on to break the head free after the head bolts are out. Once that is broken you can remove the manifold to make the head lighter to lift out.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 14
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 14
thanks, got it off... came up really easy

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 33
P
Apprentice
Apprentice
P Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 33
spray breakfree into the bores for penetration iodine is helpful if you are really stuck


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0