The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
13 members (Otto Skorzeny, Gdads51, TUTS 59, Jon G, Joe H, HandyAndy, greenie-reddy, Simso, 1955 1 Series, Southerntruck, Gib70, 3B, 1 invisible), 123 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,103
Posts1,056,183
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 46
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 46
Either something happens to these bits of rubber as they fly across the Atlantic, or I've been unlucky twice.

Brought a replacement strip back in September 2007 from a guy in Canada whilst I was on vacation. My guy came to fit it a few weeks ago, phoned me and told me it was no good 'cos it was too old and had lost its elasticity.

Bought another one on e-bay, sent it up to him..... yep, same problem.

Now, please don't take this the wrong way, you guys, buy the windshield fitter used by my repair guy does a lot of old American iron, and he tells me it's a common problem; because it's a racing cert that the weatherstrip won't be sent back due to shipping costs, the seller sends you an old one that's past its sell-by date or else a cheap repop one in lieu of a good one.

The rubbers are REALLY soft and won't hold the windshield in place; I've compared the ones I've got to one he's fitted to a 64 Chevy and that is MUCH better fitting.

Anyone else come across this hassle? I'm really sore about it because it means I can't use my truck for my wedding next weekend.

My repair guy's been really good, he's lent me one of his cars to do the wedding in........




........ problem is it's an ex-NYPD Crown Victoria, means this Stovebolter's gonna go to his wedding in a goddam F*rd! frown

Still, at least it's American! grin

Last edited by Kev UK; 04/16/2009 10:38 PM.

63 GMC Fleetside; overbuilt, over-thirsty and over here!
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
Kev - sorry to hear a problem like that - may be the wrong 'brand', but old rubber will be hard, not soft .... if the ones you've had were from SoffSeal [sp?] I understand, try Steele Rubber part #70-1714-50 $68.20/ea, no reveal molding [63 GM truck] ..... it'll be right - if the previous ones were from Steele and wouldn't work, they should give ya satisfaction

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 46
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 46
Originally Posted by red58
may be the wrong 'brand', but old rubber will be hard, not soft ....
Bill

That was what I thought too, Bill.

These need a good soak in Viagra I think! grin

I paid $35 for the one from e-bay; just noted your price quoted is nearly double that so I guess it's the old adage about getting what you pay for! frown

My man's getting one from his source which he says is reliable.

Thanks for the heads-up. On the plus side, everything else is now fixed and apart needing to set the front brakes up (slight imbalance) it should sail through its MOT test, which is the British roadworthiness test we have to go through every year.

Regards

Kev


63 GMC Fleetside; overbuilt, over-thirsty and over here!
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Kev, I found on my 38 that all rubber vendors are not created equal. I bought a window "kit" from Chevs of the 40s that was supposed to have everything I needed to do all of the windows (rubbers, seals, sweeps, screws, staples, bowdrill cloth, etc.) of my coupe. The quarter windows had to be shoved in using a porta-power because the rubber was too thick. The windshield center divider was too short. The vent window seals were too short. The door window sweeps were too short. The back glass rubber was too long by about 6" plus after we cut it down & re-glued it we found it didn't fit the glass (glass channel was too narrow). I found excellent replacements that fit right at Steele. They're expensive but they are cheaper when you only have to buy them once. grin


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 46
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 46
Originally Posted by Tiny
They're expensive but they are cheaper when you only have to buy them once. grin

Ain't that the truth! Even more so for me since the shipping cost the same as the parts! frown


63 GMC Fleetside; overbuilt, over-thirsty and over here!

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0