The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jon G, Jay R, walter74, Southerntruck, Barry Martak), 147 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,417
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 21
F
Apprentice
Apprentice
F Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 21
Hey guys well still waiting on a new starter for my 235 currently in the 51, 3600. I was offered a 472 big block with a th400 tranny to put in it. Just out of curiosity has anyone done this or would it even work? If so what all would I need to do? mounting brackets etc. and could I use the new wiring harness I just installed its a 12V system already.....

Thanks!
Kirk

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
buddy of mine put one in a 55 2nd, folks put a variety of V8's in AD's, don't see why you couldn't do it if you want

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Originally Posted by flyinhigh51
I was offered a 472 big block with a th400 tranny to put in it.
Cadillac I presume.

Originally Posted by flyinhigh51
Just out of curiosity has anyone done this or would it even work?
Its been done. I've seen pictures of others having done it, and I've put a Cadillac 500 in my '55 1st GMC. It is a tight fit.

Originally Posted by flyinhigh51
If so what all would I need to do? mounting brackets etc.

You are going to be fabricating your own front mounts and modifying an aftermarket rear crossmember. You will need to move the steering column. Custom exhaust and perhaps shave the frame on the passenger side to fit the exhaust manifold.

Originally Posted by flyinhigh51
and could I use the new wiring harness I just installed its a 12V system already.....
Sure.


The question to ask yourself is WHY are you doing this. Its going to be a lot of work, with lots of little changes, and if you don't have a clear goal in mind it might be hard to finish it.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 21
F
Apprentice
Apprentice
F Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 21
Hey thanks for all the comments, especially the question by question break down of how/what to do. In response to your question, it was just offered to me and I was just curious as to what could be done. For now I think I am going to try to get the 235 goin and drive it till next winter then possibly see if I could put a 350 in it, seeing as its one of the most common engines in the world.
Thanks again!

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
You're welcome. Let us all know how it goes!


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0