Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
2 members (Maybellene, Gazz),
103
guests, and
4
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,096 Posts1,056,482 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 571 | I was turning into a steep entry into the grocery store yesterday and thought I heard a gun go off. When my steering got a little weird, I knew I broke the truck. The Monoleaf sheared off just above the tie rod. Scary stuff, especially when my 4 year old was riding shotgun.  | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 662 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 662 | | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 | Chuck,That is a great article.
1951 3100 Chevrolet1951 Chevrolet Suburban CarryallImage"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams." "Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything" "If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 571 | I may take this opportunity to Put IFS under the front end. My back has been bothering me lately and my chiropractor thinks it may be from the truck. (It's my daily driver) I definitely wont be using Monoleafs again. I put this up here for a real world experience. It is a little embarassing that I knew the risks and still chose to use the monoleafs. This is for all the folks who are contiplating those options. Hope this helps some folks with their decision on lowering. | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | You don't reckon maybe those engineers knew what they were doing when they designed the truck to be a truck, do you. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | I fully agree with Cletis about the springs; however, those engineers might have missed something in making seats that are a pain in the a** and in the back (job security for chiropractors).
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 564 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 564 | Get some softer springs and a drop axle to lower the nose if that's what you're after.
As for the back: start putting your wallet in your front pocket. Makes a HUGE difference.
And do a concours-style rebuild on your seat. You'd be surprised how comfy a well-built bench seat can be.
Strip the seat, replace any broken pieces/springs with a donor from a junkyard. Even the little coil springs in the seat back. (Look for any '60s or possibly '70s truck for a donor). Once the springs are firm again (and they're almost ALL broken on the driver's side front corner), replace the burlap across the spring beds. BUT, the key, THE KEY, is to replace the little wires running side-to-side that are woven through the burlap. Use piano wire. (That's my tip of the century). It distributes your weight across the entire spring bed. Then cover with foam. I like a few layers of woven batting from the fabric store. It isn't cheap, but it's comfortable. Use spray adhesive to attach it to the burlap (which is fastened to the springs with hog rings). Make it a little thicker than stock for the seat bottom. Stock for the seat back is fine. Cover, and be amazed at the ride quality! I did the rear seat in the '62 Suburban, and it's like riding on the living room couch. Front seats are in-process now.
-Brad SOUTHERN FALL GABfestOctober 6 ~ Commerce, Georgia Details here!Never Pee on an Electric Fence. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | My comment on the spring artical is that the Chrysler mini vans use a steel monoleaf in the rear. I have always wondered what would happen if one of them failed. I guess the answer is that one end would still be anchored and the rubber bumper would limit the travel of the axle. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 571 | I always put my wallet in my front pocket. The seat repair is a great tip. Thanks, Brad. Thanks for your helpful wisdom too, Cletis. Wonder why they don't make seats with built in shocks? | | |
| |