The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rusted Nut, 1 invisible), 75 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,100
Posts1,056,513
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#52649 11/19/2005 11:56 PM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 54
D
DW
Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 54
As usual I'm making things harder than necessary, but after taking the oil pan off a 1954 235 6 cyl, I can't get it back on. I'm not sure if I'm hitting the oil screen or oil pump, what's the trick to getting the pan back on?

Thanks

#52650 11/20/2005 12:30 AM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 439
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 439
There is a trick to it im sure. I just forced it and it worked. Good Luck. Sorry I cant be of any help. Mine was hard to get off, and hard to get on.

#52651 11/20/2005 1:08 AM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 364
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 364
Is it hanging up on the ends? New gaskets will make it tight. Also check to see that it's not getting stuck on oil pick-up or anything else as you said. If it doesn't feel like it's stopping dead against something use a little more force and see if it's just the end gaskets.


Keith
If it were easy they'd have grade schoolers doing it!
#52652 11/20/2005 1:52 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 54
D
DW
Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 54
I'm sure it's getting hung up on the oil pump or oil pickup, worried that if I force it I'll break something.

#52653 11/20/2005 2:24 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
DW,

Is the engine out of the rig...maybe on an engine stand upside down in a garage? Are you dry fitting it right now...no gaskets!


Stuart

#52654 11/20/2005 3:03 AM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
I noticed on the 261 oil pan I have not installed yet that there is a well in the bottom with a metal overhang. I'd be guessing but it would seem that if you were mounting the pan, it would have to be put on from "rear to front wise direction" so the oil pump screen and uptake would clear the metal cover over the well. I've never seen one off a truck(other than this one) so that is just my best guess.

There are a lot more folks here with experiance who can better answer your question but forcing it doesn't seem to me to be a good idea.


#52655 11/20/2005 3:30 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 54
D
DW
Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 54
Engine is in the truck, and I'm "dry fitting" before I use gaskets and adhesive. I'm putting the front of the pan on first due to an overhang from timing or crankshaft cover on the bottom front of the 235. As Virginiafiretruck described, there is a "well" with baffles on the bottom of pan and I believe one of the edges is contacting the bottom of the oil pump or oil pickup.

#52656 11/20/2005 5:32 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
DW,

Hope you have a good creeper and a bright trouble light. The pan wasn't pulled to address a oil pump problem was it? Keep wiggling and I'll bet you get it. smile


Stuart

#52657 11/20/2005 12:47 PM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 375
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 375
I have no idea what you're seeing under that truck so I don't know for sure how to solve your problem. So why am I here? Well; in 1967 I pulled the pan off of a 235 59 Biscayne with the motor in the car. The motor had to be lifted for the pan to clear the front cross-member. Even with the motor lifted 4-6" we had to turn the crank to move it out of the way toward the front of the engine in order to get the pan out and back in. You may need to do the same. Good luck.


Jerry Acheson
Indianapolis, IN
57 Chevy 3100
#52658 11/21/2005 5:14 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 54
D
DW
Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 54
just an update in case you run into this problem. Looking in the bottom of the oil pan I noticed one side of the baffled metal well wasn't quite straight, maybe 1/8th inch. Pushed it straight and oil pan mated with engine block!

okay, now I've retapped (helicoil) two broken oil pan bolt/holes, next is to try and get the mating surface of the oil pan straight. No wonder the guy I bought the truck from said "it leaks a little!"

#52659 11/21/2005 5:53 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
DW,

You Helicoiled two holes laying on your back under your truck..you aren't the "New Guy", your "The Man". Take a look at the thread on installing pan gaskets, very informative!


Stuart


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0