| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,128 Posts1,056,664 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#52449 11/15/2005 7:56 PM | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 258 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 258 | Hi guys !
The engine in my "new truck" ('72 C-10) is getting very sick...
A buddy has a supposed low-mileage (40,000mile) 230 from a mid-'60s car...
The 230 had an automatic behind it, my truck is a stick...
I'm hoping I can just swap the 250 flywheel onto the 230 crank and install a pilot bushing...
Are there any other "Swap headaches" lurking ?
Ultimately, I will rebuild the original 250; but I can't afford to have the truck down for more than a weekend...thus the swap...
Would appreciate any advice...
Thanks...
Frank McMullen 1941 Chevy dump truck 1949 GMC 100 pick-up 1954 Chevy 3600 pick-up 1955.1 4400 dump truck 1941 De Soto & other MoPars 1928 Model A F**D Special Coupe
| | |
#52450 11/15/2005 9:04 PM | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 6 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 6 | Frank, I think I remember it being a direct swap. Not sure if the manifolds will swap or not. Hope this helps.
RB
| | |
#52451 11/15/2005 9:29 PM | Joined: Apr 2003 Posts: 608 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2003 Posts: 608 | Frank,as memory serves  Check that the 230 going in has the 2 threaded bosses in the side of the block behind the exhaust to accept the clutch Z bar bracket bolts. Or does yours mount off off the bellhouse?Regards, Steve sr. | | |
#52452 11/15/2005 9:54 PM | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | It,s a direct swap except as Steve pointed out. Although the 230 is not as good an engine it will be easy to install & serve you till you rebuild the 250 or get a V-8. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | |
#52453 11/16/2005 8:37 PM | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 258 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 258 | Thanks guys...
I will check-out the clutch linkage mounting bosses...
I know I'll sacrifice some torque dropping down to a 230, but it mostly an expedient right now (the 230 is sitting there waiting for a home, and the price is right...).
Gotta keep the old Bolt rolling !
Frank McMullen 1941 Chevy dump truck 1949 GMC 100 pick-up 1954 Chevy 3600 pick-up 1955.1 4400 dump truck 1941 De Soto & other MoPars 1928 Model A F**D Special Coupe
| | |
#52454 11/17/2005 5:18 AM | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 990 Member | | Member Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 990 | I am doing the same thing with my 72 c10! I got a rebuilt 230 with only about 1K miles on it (or so I was told) for very little money and am going to put a 700r4 behind it as my 59 1 ton is my big horse. With coil springs, A/C, and a hydramatic this baby will be my caddillac! I had a 68 camaro with the 230 in it and that was about as an indestructable motor as I have had. We ran it out of oil when an oil line failed to the point that the engine stopped from overheating. Figured that motor was toast, however, we plugged the line filled with oil, and it started up and ran like it always did. That sold me on chevy 6's. Ran the poop out of that 6 and it never put me on the pavement. I am just about to go get that tranny as soon as I clean up another few projects. The truck originally was a 350/350 combo. | | |
#52455 11/17/2005 6:03 AM | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 2,384 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 2,384 | I have a 230 in my DD 64, it runs great, gives me good mileage, it is the strongest 6 I have ever had. Brian | | |
#52456 11/17/2005 4:05 PM | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 258 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 258 | Without dissing the older Stovebolts (235 and earlier), the last generation of Chevy sixes (1963 - 198 ? ) were the best...
That seven-main crank made for a very stout bottom-end...
That combined with the shorter stroke made for a seemingly indestructible six !
I love the 216 and 235, but I have newfound respect for the "new" sixes after my experiences with my '72 250...
I had a '64 C-10 short-bed step about 15 years ago that had a 230...replaced a few bad lifters, and that was about it...great runner...
Frank McMullen 1941 Chevy dump truck 1949 GMC 100 pick-up 1954 Chevy 3600 pick-up 1955.1 4400 dump truck 1941 De Soto & other MoPars 1928 Model A F**D Special Coupe
| | |
| |
| |