The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (46 Texaco, Hotrod Lincoln, 3 invisible), 90 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,633
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 258
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 258
Hi guys !

The engine in my "new truck" ('72 C-10) is getting very sick...

A buddy has a supposed low-mileage (40,000mile) 230 from a mid-'60s car...

The 230 had an automatic behind it, my truck is a stick...

I'm hoping I can just swap the 250 flywheel onto the 230 crank and install a pilot bushing...

Are there any other "Swap headaches" lurking ?

Ultimately, I will rebuild the original 250; but I can't afford to have the truck down for more than a weekend...thus the swap...

Would appreciate any advice...


Thanks...


Frank McMullen
1941 Chevy dump truck
1949 GMC 100 pick-up
1954 Chevy 3600 pick-up
1955.1 4400 dump truck
1941 De Soto & other MoPars
1928 Model A F**D Special Coupe
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 6
M
Junior Member
Junior Member
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 6
Frank, I think I remember it being a direct swap. Not sure if the manifolds will swap or not. Hope this helps.


RB
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 608
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 608
Frank,as memory serves eek Check that the 230 going in has the 2 threaded bosses in the side of the block behind the exhaust to accept the clutch Z bar bracket bolts.
Or does yours mount off off the bellhouse?Regards,
Steve sr.

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
It,s a direct swap except as Steve pointed out. Although the 230 is not as good an engine it will be easy to install & serve you till you rebuild the 250 or get a V-8.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 258
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 258
Thanks guys...

I will check-out the clutch linkage mounting bosses...


I know I'll sacrifice some torque dropping down to a 230, but it mostly an expedient right now (the 230 is sitting there waiting for a home, and the price is right...).

Gotta keep the old Bolt rolling !


Frank McMullen
1941 Chevy dump truck
1949 GMC 100 pick-up
1954 Chevy 3600 pick-up
1955.1 4400 dump truck
1941 De Soto & other MoPars
1928 Model A F**D Special Coupe
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
I am doing the same thing with my 72 c10! I got a rebuilt 230 with only about 1K miles on it (or so I was told) for very little money and am going to put a 700r4 behind it as my 59 1 ton is my big horse. With coil springs, A/C, and a hydramatic this baby will be my caddillac! wink

I had a 68 camaro with the 230 in it and that was about as an indestructable motor as I have had. We ran it out of oil when an oil line failed to the point that the engine stopped from overheating. Figured that motor was toast, however, we plugged the line filled with oil, and it started up and ran like it always did. That sold me on chevy 6's. Ran the poop out of that 6 and it never put me on the pavement.

I am just about to go get that tranny as soon as I clean up another few projects. The truck originally was a 350/350 combo.

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
I have a 230 in my DD 64, it runs great, gives me good mileage, it is the strongest 6 I have ever had. Brian


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 258
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 258
Without dissing the older Stovebolts (235 and earlier), the last generation of Chevy sixes (1963 - 198 ? ) were the best...

That seven-main crank made for a very stout bottom-end...

That combined with the shorter stroke made for a seemingly indestructible six !


I love the 216 and 235, but I have newfound respect for the "new" sixes after my experiences with my '72 250...

I had a '64 C-10 short-bed step about 15 years ago that had a 230...replaced a few bad lifters, and that was about it...great runner...


Frank McMullen
1941 Chevy dump truck
1949 GMC 100 pick-up
1954 Chevy 3600 pick-up
1955.1 4400 dump truck
1941 De Soto & other MoPars
1928 Model A F**D Special Coupe

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0