| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,087 Posts1,056,372 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 679 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2006 Posts: 679 | I don't know where to post this: General Truck Talk, Paint & Body, Interiors, or Tool Chest.
In my shop manual, it says to use a (J-2189) "weatherstrip retainer" tool to fit the retainer into the back glass gasket. Can anyone suggest a readily available tool I can use in place of the special one? I found one post that leaned toward dental picks.
Any recommendations?
Bill | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | I've just used a dull screwdriver and determination .... I'd be careful with anything as pointy as a dental pick ... NAPA has a Lisle tool for glass retainers, don't know if it's the right size
Bill | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 8 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 8 |
I'm still around.
| | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 679 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2006 Posts: 679 | That's what I thought, Bill. A pick seems awfully dangerous. Some place I read a paint can opener combo bottle opener. On the paint can end there is a curved screw-driver like feature. (Was that on the response to this question that is now removed? Can't remember!)
I was hoping for something that either I already own, or can get a local hardware store. Thanks for the suggestion.
Bill | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | the paint can opener might do if not too wide - or if narrowed down a bit - the Lisle tool I saw was similar to this .... I've been meaning to get one for daBus windshield install ...., if I can find the windshields  Bill | | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 1,317 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 1,317 | Several vendors sell a nylon hand-held tool for a couple bucks that has a flat blade for working the bead into the seal. I purchased the tool K.c.47-49 pointed out and it proved to be better for opening cans of paint and now keeps my "short water pump" company, gathering dust on the shelf.
My final solution to this little part of the rebuild, involved an old nylon handled toothbrush, sharpened to a flat screwdriver like chisel end and a bucket of ice water. The tool worked okay and the ice water came in handy for my sore fingers. If the nylon tool slips as you force it along in front of the bead, you won't gouge up the paint like the metal tool. Needless to say, it took a couple days of short sessions to get them installed.
Dave | | | | | Joined: May 2008 Posts: 142 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2008 Posts: 142 | I have used two popsicle sticks. Works good on the glass instillations. I take and file down one end on each to kind of a chisel point. This way you have a sharp end, and a blunt end with no damage to the rubber or glass. I also use lubricant to make the job less sticky.
You can’t beat the price of this tool, and since you need two, grab a popsicle lover and you both get a treat prior to the job. And, they can help with the instillation.
| | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 679 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2006 Posts: 679 | Great ideas! I plan to have a full toolbox of odds & ends. I got the paint can opener yesterday. I'll work on the box of popsicles today. Toothbrush is already in the drawer.
I'm planning to enlist the help of my daughter to take a video of my efforts. Maybe it will end up as a video Tech Tip or YouTube movie. The question is will it show how to do it, or what not to do!
Bill | | |
| |
| |