The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (tclederman, TUTS 59, 1 invisible), 132 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#519857 03/23/2009 12:16 AM
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 8
1
New Guy
New Guy
1 Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 8
Does anyone out there know if it's possible to remove the vent windows from '53 Chevy pickup doors and use one piece glass from the '51 and down? I have a '53 and like the push button door handles and the look of the one piece windows.
Anything special involved??

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 104
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 104
They have a kit to do this conversion, but I think it might be easier to find complete doors from a earlier model. Just my 2 cents worth.

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
Originally Posted by fasteddie1017
I think it might be easier to find complete doors from a earlier model. Just my 2 cents worth.
But you still don't get the push button handles.

I think the conversion kits use plain 4 or 5mm thick glass and not the metal framed glass you get on the pre-51 doors.
I'm sure you could use pre 51 framed glass but you would need to buy separate window channel and door inners,to allow for the extra thickness.
It might be more hassle than it's worth though.(JMO)


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 8
1
New Guy
New Guy
1 Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 8
Thanks, fellas. I have another good set of '50 model doors. I thought maybe I could just use the window frames, add new facory glass and use the regulators out of them.But from what I'm hearing the doors are vastly different in terms of how the windows fit.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 381
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 381
If you have metal fabrication/welding skills, you can put one piece door glass in the '51-'55 1st (eliminating the vent window) or put the push bottom door handles on the '47-'50 doors. I know guys that have made both changes.

Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 14
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 14
can you elaborate on what all is involved in swapping the push button handles on to 47-50 doors?


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0