The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (GRNHydra, Gdads51, Hotrod Lincoln), 69 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,353
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 55
F
New Guy
New Guy
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 55
I'm having the complete floor replaced along with the back corners of my 53 AD pickup. They think they can do the job for under $2000. Is this price within reason? I can do the mechanical but body work is completely new to me. Tell me what you think. Another thing this shop uses TIG rather than MIG because they say it does a better job. Please advise me and thanks in advance-----

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 339
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 339
Funton, having a bodyshop in the past, but retired now,
replacing both cab corners and replacing the complete floor the price sounds reasonable....I replaced the complete floor in My 52
and both cab corners too...I drilled out all the factory spot welds, then drilled the new panels in 1 1/2 increments, then used
My mig to duplicate factory spot welds...looks great.....now I didn't have a tig to compare which is best, but I am sure either
one would be good...Bill B


1952 Chevy 3104 Shortbed 5-window
Remember; Politicians and diapers both need to be changed
often, and for the same reason.....
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
Is the cab on the frame? Does that $2k include parts? If so, it's a great price otherwise it sounds reasonable and any shop that uses TIG welding is probably going to be more meticulous.

Both MIG and TIG will weld two pieces of metal together, but TIG is neater with a smaller bead and more control over burn through and penetration. The downside of the TIG is the cost of the equipment and complexity of operation.


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I think that is an amazing price. I would assume "floor" means from the seat forward. I don't think they could do a whole floor replacement for that price.

If they haven't seen the truck yet, they may have to add things like inner corners at the rear and all four floor supports.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0