The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Gdads51, GDW, Cletus1950, Shade Baby, tclederman), 97 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,459
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 197
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 197
and was wondering if anyone could tell if wheels like these
http://www.customwheelsdirect.com/html/wheels_brand/wheel_detail.php?id=29328 would work on my 1 ton.

I want to get away from the dually look. Thoughts.

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Possibly the vendor could. They have a toll free number. You might want to tell them what year your 1-ton truck is.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Originally Posted by Jackyl
...I want to get away from the dually look. Thoughts.
Don't think you can just swap the dually type wheels for normal "single" wheels.
For sure not on the front, you may get away with it on the rear, but would have an odd track width.
To switch from dual wheels to singles usually requires changing hubs.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 197
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 197
I could have sworn that people have done it before, that is swapping out the front wheels for standard wheels. If that is not the case then I have a lot of work in front of me.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Check the master parts catalog and see what the parts differences are, hubs and brakes and such..


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I have seen AD 1Tons with an adapter on the front to take the dually type wheels.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
I beleive you're right about the adapter on the front, TF trucks are the same way. However, and correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the dual wheel 1 ton ADs have larger rear brake drums that rims smaller than 18" won't clear?


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 197
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 197
There is an adapter on the front, I figured I would remove that and just put on a standard wheel.
The second question, a 16in rim will clear the rear brakes. I had a junk one that I threw on there and it fit.

I am now wondering more about the adapter

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I used 16 x 6 rims on my 51 1 Ton. The setback is important in that if it is more than 4", they will interfere with the tie rod ends. Mine do clear the rear drums. These rims were common with the big three trucks and vans, sometime in the 70s and 80s. There is also a trailer rim that is almost identical.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0