| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,240 Members48,437 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 117 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 117 | I have been experiencing an annoying come and go type problem with the 235 in my 50. Inconsistant idle, rpm's up and down, and occasionally popping and backfiring through the carb. I checked for vaccuum leaks and have rechecked all the carb settings which all seem OK. When I decided to try and check the vaccuum advance on the distributor I found what seems to be quite alot of play in the advance mechanism at the "joint" of the mechanism. I would think this should be quite tight to control the dist. from bouncing around (and the timing changing also) and I think this may be the source of my problem. I'm hoping some of the more knowledgable will either confirm my suspicions or point me in the right direction. Are there replacement advance mechanisms available? Thanks for the help, Chuck | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 117 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 117 | I guess I'm the only one to have seen this, just my luck!
Chuck | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Chuck, The vacuum advance mechanism sold by most vendors is not an exact match. You will have to drill our the pivot post and out in your pivot screw. Did you try a search on +vacuum +advance? You'll find additional information and experiences. Tim | | |
| |
| |