Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (baldeagle, Southerntruck, Hanks custodian, Woodcmiami, J Lucas, Rusty Shackleford, TooMany2count),
79
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,133 Posts1,056,398 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 397 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 397 | I just refurbished the battery holder on "Lucille". Obviously I don't have all the parts that secure the battery to this tray. Can someone tell me what I'm missing parts wise? I can't believe that the 6v battery just sits in the tray without being anchored down somehow. Anyone got some  ?
"Lucille" ..... Proud Member of the "Southern Stovebolts" David Wolff 1946 Chevy 1/2-ton In the Gallery | | | | | Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 309 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 309 | I've got a '46 and I replaced the battery tray about 20 years ago. Although I'm sure that there was some system to hold the battery down, I never tracked one down. The battery has just been sitting in the tray for the past 20 odd years and 40,000 miles with nary a problem.
Of course, I'm not involved with the local hill climbers group, nor do I go charging down bumpy dirt roads. I'm just saying that, with reasonable driving, your battery will sit there just fine on its own.
David Bush | | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 79 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 79 | On second thought, take a look at this parts manual. I'm only seeing three parts listed for your truck: HANGER, frt, less strap - SUPPORT, rear, hanger - STRAP, w/guard (594919). I see "retainers" for 47-54 on this same page, but no such "retainer" is listed for the 40-46. So this "strap" was probably to retain the battery. Grounding straps with terminals are listed on the next page. Maybe that is what Jim Carter is showing in this tiny little picture. Whaddaya think?
Bluedawg
God fearing, Gun toting, Constitution loving extremist.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 | Lucille, Per your photo, see the portion of the bracket that has a 'dog leg' bend. That's where a long bolt goes that squeezes the unit together, thus holding the battery from moving. Looks just like the one in my 46. But you may need to make some wooden or rubber spacers so the battery is just snug before you tighted that long bolt. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 581 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 581 | Lucille, On my '41 ton and a half, the battery tray has two pieces of wood, about 2 inches by 6 inches, 1/4" thick, that sit on either side of the battery, between it and the side of the tray. Each one has two, dime-sized holes in it, corresponding with the rivet heads on the inside (battery-side) of the tray. I'm guessing these are to help keep the battery snug? Gives a very definite size to the battery. Maybe they're not original, but sure seem to be. . . -Michael | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,048 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,048 | Lucille:
Yours looks exactly like the one I bought from Chevs of the 40s. As JiMerit said there should be a long bolt through the two 3/8ā holes at the left in your photo to clamp the ends of the battery. I also placed a matching bolt in the holes on the frame side of the unit.
Iām old enough to have dim memories of under floor batteries and do not recall any straps designed to hold them down.
Depending on what size battery you end up sing you will have to make some wooden filler pieces to take up the spaces around and maybe under the battery. Also be careful the posts and cable clamps do not touch the cab floor. | | |
| |