The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Phak1, Otto Skorzeny, Guitplayer, 1 invisible), 125 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,125
Posts1,056,338
Members48,440
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
It towed really smooth and I had no problems with the hills and high bridges at about 60mph. The firetruck didn't move or shift at all on the trip.

I leave on Thursday and I'm starting to get comfortable with the whole package.


Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 568
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 568
Are you're rear wheel chocks anchored to the deck? If not, I would be afraid of them coming loose and falling off the trailer and hitting something. As long as the straps are rated heavy enough to handle holding the truck on the trailer and keep it from moving around, I would remove the chocks unless they are secured to the deck and can't come off. Otherwise that is a very good looking set-up.


Mike
1952 Chevrolet 2-Ton 6400
"Dempsey"
In the Gallery
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Bill,

It kind'a looks like there is a strap from the frame to the trailer on the front...am I right? If so I'm not sure you want to do that...you don't want to limit the up and down travel of the fire trucks suspension system. If you do have it straped that way every time you hit a bump that strap will limit the up travel with a violent jerk which could bend or break something...

If you don't have it straped like that just disregard this note...

See you on Friday...have a safe trip,

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Looks pretty good, and a fine looking truck.

Some thoughts (opinions) and questions on the tie downs though.

Are the D rings at the front welded to the trailer frame or bolted through the wood? If just the wood, then skip them and take your straps out to the cuffs on the side of the trailer.

The third strap on the front, does it go over the frame, and is it tight enough to squish the suspension enough that the truck doesn't move any at all and chafe or jerk the strap while riding?

Are the rear wheel chocks tied on so they won't fall off if they work loose?
looks like the front 6x6 is bolted down?

The rear straps don't look like they will resist sideways movement of the rear of the truck a whole lot. Can you cross them so the strap anchored to the left ramp hinge goes to the right side of the axle housing, and the other way around?

If I had a choice I'd use chains and binders at the rear, straps may be rated for a lot, but chains make me feel better. It's important that the load not move forward even if you run into something, could be hard on the driver depending on how far forward it comes.

What you have will work 99% of the time, actually just the wheel chocks and the weight of the truck should work 90-95% of the time... But for the unfortunate chance that you're in a wreck you don't want things shifting.
It's been said that you should tie a load on a trailer such that you could turn the trailer upside down and the load stays on the trailer without shifting. I think there is something to that.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
Good morning. Thanks for the replies and comments.

The rear wheel chocks are lag bolted to the deck to prevent them from coming off. The front strap does go across the frame in front. I put it on to hold it down as a backup to the wheel straps. The suspention is so hard that it hardly moved when I tighten it down so I didn't consider it a problem. The D-rings are welded to the frame substructure. The front 6"x6" is bolted down thru the deck. I'll take a look at the rear straps to see if I can cross them over as I did that with the front straps.

Thanks for the comments and maybe I'll see some of you this weekend!


Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 684
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 684
Great looking rig. Bill


Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the nearer the end the faster it goes.




1949 Chevy 6400
1931 Chevy Firetruck



Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
Thanks.


Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 195
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 195
Very impressive!! You are going to get a lot of attention traveling interstate 64/81. I'm sure you will have a great time. thumbs_up


Red meat is not bad for you.........Fuzzy green meat is bad for you!

"What happens in the garage stays in the garage!"

1958 Chevy Spartan 100 firetruck in the Gallery
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
Thanks. When I took it on the road test (Sunday) for about two hours, folks kept beeping and waving at me the entire time... It was disturbing at first but then I figured it wasn't my driving... LOL


Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
Successful tow to Winchester!!!! Thanks to everyone who provided your advise & expertise. Safe and successful trip due inpart to the Stovebolters who helped me out!


Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Hey Bill,

Glad to hear you had a safe return trip...it was nice meeting you and seeing your truck...It looks GREAT!!!

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
Update: I'm taking the empty trailer down to the welding/fabrication shop in the morning to have the trailer modified to mount the fold up ramps up under the rear of the trailer. I got the idea from a Stovebolt member(Bill Marlow) so wish me luck!!!

It is supposed to be done by close of business on Wednesday... I'll take a few pictures so you can see the results. Take care.

Last edited by Virginiafiretruck; 07/22/2009 2:56 AM. Reason: added the name...

Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,399
B
Camp Commandant
Camp Commandant
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,399
What, wish you luck because you got the idea from me?lol
I hope they work for you as well as they do for me. As I said before, they are heavy but I have got pulling out the ramps and setting them in place down to a routine so it isn't bad at all. I just never liked having the ramps sticking up in the air although it is less fuss that way.
Let us know how you like your new set up.
Billy


~ Billy
Old Dominion Stovebolt Society: Exotic Animal Division
1946 Chevrolet Cab Over Engine | In the Gallery | Video | More pictures
1959 GMC 860 | Pictures
1950 Chevrolet 3800 | Pictures
I've got a trailer and I'm not afraid to use it!
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
I like the way your ramps look under the trailer bed. Don't worry, I'll let you know.

BTW: It didn't get finished today and I'm working at the fire station on Thursday so I can't pick it up until 0900 on Friday morning...


Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
I picked up the trailer today and loaded it for the drive to Baltimore. Here are the pictures: http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2987054680080243953xllmsi

It is much easier to load the trailer without having to relocate the ramps onto the trailer for the drive.


Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 195
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 195
That does look very neat! Impressive!


Red meat is not bad for you.........Fuzzy green meat is bad for you!

"What happens in the garage stays in the garage!"

1958 Chevy Spartan 100 firetruck in the Gallery
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,180
Red dot, center of chest ...
Red dot, center of chest ...
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,180
Man that's a pretty truck. You've done a great job of restoring it. Thanks for sharing.


Paul Schmehl CI 6
geek@stovebolt.com
Stovebolt Staff: Geek
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
Thank you.


Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
like the ramps being stowed with locking chains. mine have a spring loaded slide lock and the spring isn't that strong.Sometimes the slide backs out a little but not enough to completely disengage so it's something you have to watch.










Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Look'n good VFT,

Did you put a skid plate below the ramps to prevent damage when going over a speed bump or exiting a driveway?

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,399
B
Camp Commandant
Camp Commandant
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,399
Bill, the ramps look great but I agree with Mike. From the pictures it looks like there is potential to drag on bad dip in a parking lot or driveway. Another option is putting a set of "casters" underneath so the ramps don't scrape. They make them for motorhomes and trailers. I don't think they are very expensive and may save your ramp brackets. Something like this.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/rollaway-hitch-protector/11048


~ Billy
Old Dominion Stovebolt Society: Exotic Animal Division
1946 Chevrolet Cab Over Engine | In the Gallery | Video | More pictures
1959 GMC 860 | Pictures
1950 Chevrolet 3800 | Pictures
I've got a trailer and I'm not afraid to use it!
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
Thanks guys. I'll have to consider that idea but it already seems to have more clearance than my 04 corvette ever had! And I am extremely careful not to put it into a tight spot. When I see the truck/trailer next, I'll take a look at it.


Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0