The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 99 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,619
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#508732 02/22/2009 12:25 AM
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 46
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 46
i have a 52 3800 new brake lines and shoes,now the cyclinders i took apart today had to drive out the old pistons ton of crap etc honed with lots of fluid and can still see the old mark from the piston although it feels smooth, my question is had any luck with cylinders not leaking even tho you can see the old mark?if money were not a problem i would buy new cylinders, but prefer not too, this is thelast step in replacing everything so i am paranoid about them leaking on the new shoes, thanks trying

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
Welcome to the bolt. It all depends on how pitted the insides are. The kits to rebuild are cheap, or they can be sleeved for about the same price as new if I recall correctly. Remember, it's only your life your chancing. You have gone to the expense of replacing everything else, I would buy new cylinders but that's me.

Bruce


My Trucks
Stuff I Collect
If it doesn't matter if you win or loose.......why do they keep score?
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 53
F
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
F Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 53
It depends on where the pits are. If they are in the center of the cylinder you will probably be ok. If they are in the area the cup rides chances are they will seep and make a mess.

With that said, you've spent a bunch of time and money already to do the job right why not treat yourself and finish it right. thumbs_up

Jim

Last edited by farmer51; 02/22/2009 3:23 AM.
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
If you question it, best would be either to replace or sleeve them. Whichever way you go, do the same to both sides of a given axle for equal braking performance.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
I wanted to replace the cylinders because they are so dang cheap on my '58. I got them from the local FLAPS for a reasonable price, but I found the castings wouldn't fit properly on the plate. Likewise, the bleeder thread forms were different from my old ones, keeping me form swapping my Speed Bleeders over. All-in-all, the new cylinders were a complete mess.

I honed out the old ones and did a blind feel test. I couldn't feel anything so I moved over the innards from the new cylinder castings to the old ones, and they've worked wonderfully ever since.

With that success, I tackled the master cylinder rebuild job, honing out the cylinder per Red58's guidance. To this day, both the brake cylinder and master cylinder rebuild jobs have been extremely successful.

Give it a shot and be extremely cautious at check-out. I recommend testing it at low speed at dawn's first light.

Bill

Last edited by TxLaTx; 02/22/2009 4:03 AM.

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0