The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (John Dlugos, Buckeye998, Gray_Ghost, Gdads51, dt235sd, rfs56trk, BCBill, Otto Skorzeny, Dusty53), 236 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,172
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 37
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 37
1958/59 Apache 235 inline 6 and powerglide factory setup:

What were the mounting points on a factory 235 powerglide set up? Did it mount up the same way as the 235 3spd manual setup? Bird legs and bell housing mounts?

I did a search and read that this set up used a cast iron powerglide and a factory adapter. I could find no mention of how it mounts up though.

There was a truck on ebay that sold recently with this set up, I should have bought it. I would have had every factory part I needed to do this conversion.


1959 Apache 3200, Standard Cab, Big Window, Fleetside, 235/3spd, Original Paint
1964 C20 Standard Cab, Fleetside, 283/Power Glide, A/C, Pwr Steering, Pwr Brakes, NoSpin
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
This is interesting.

I was investigating whether or not to switch my 3 speed in the 55 2nd 3200 to the Hydra-matic automatic. I would like an automatic transmission.

I was finding most of the parts from some of the folks on this site. But. The best advice I recieved was to find a truck with the complete setup and buy it. This way you have the setup and can see how it is there before you switch it over to your ride.

I hope this helps.


Dennis
-there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 37
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 37
Based on the few pictures of cast iron glides I have seen, I am thinking they mounted in a traditional way, crossmember to tailshaft. There doesn't seem to be a place to put mounts on the bell housing.


1959 Apache 3200, Standard Cab, Big Window, Fleetside, 235/3spd, Original Paint
1964 C20 Standard Cab, Fleetside, 283/Power Glide, A/C, Pwr Steering, Pwr Brakes, NoSpin
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
The '55-'59 Chevy truck was never offered with the Powerglide, the automatic option was the 4 speed HydroMatic.
However, to answer the question on how that trans was mounted, it mounts the same as the manual. The mounting pads are part of the rear flywheel housing section. It also uses a different rear engine crossmember. There is no crossmember for the trans itself.


Bill Burmeister

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0