Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,140 Posts1,056,464 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 53 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 53 | Are the steering arms for the 1/2 ton axle the same from a 47AD to the 59 Taske Force? I have an axle with new king pins but no steering arms. The axle is believed to be out of a 51. If there is a difference in the steering arms how can the correct arms for a 51 be identified. Boy I hope this makes sense.  Jim
Last edited by farmer51; 02/17/2009 2:42 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 | Hy farmer51, the short answer to your question is no they are not the same, they have different part numbers for a start, hope that answers your question | | | | | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 53 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 53 | What about visual differences. Kinda like a spotters guide to front axle parts. 
Last edited by farmer51; 02/17/2009 3:59 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 | You'd have to be pretty good to recognize them by looking. I would either hit the wrecking yards for a set since anything from 47 to 54 would work, but I might be inclined to check with Obsolete Chevrolet Parts Company. He caries original parts and might have a set that would wrok. He is not cheap, so if he has a set of any of the years you need, be prepaid to pay. The upside is that they will be new and and unused. The phone number is: 229.686.5812
"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!" My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.Operators are standing by to take your calls! Now cruising in the Passing Lane | | | | | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 53 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 53 | I'm not doing a restoration so matching to the axle is not required, just something that will work.
What changed after 1954?
Last edited by farmer51; 02/17/2009 12:10 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 289 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 289 | I can send you pictures tonight of TF arms. I'd try and find the right ones, given the other parts that interface and must fit. Might try posting in parts wanted or contact Jimbo. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 53 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 53 | Eric, I called Jimbo and he didn't want to send the wrong ones so we are researching. He has plenty of them, but they have been removed from the axle.
The more I dig around the more it looks like the pitman arm/drag link change in 53 is the difference.
Jim | | | | | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,082 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,082 | | | | | | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 | 57's are different, but 46-54 are basically the same. I know you are not doing a restoration, but my point is that the arms must match. You'll have a problem if they don't. So you need to get a matched set. Choices: buy some from someone who knows that the two they have match (a parts place) or find a 46-54 axle with the arms on it. A pile of arms like Jimbo has ain't gonna do you any good unless you can match them. It can't be done by looking. The draglink is not the same on all years, either. The best thing would be to get a parts book and look up the part numbersvof the arms you want. Then call Jimbo and tell him the numbers you need. The numbers are cast into the parts. This is, however not true with the draglink. Unless you know the exact year of the axle and arms you have, it's going to be tuff to find the right one, because they vary in length do to the configuration of the steering arm. If you buy from Jimbo, get the whole axle with the arms and the drag link ATTACHED, then you'll know what you have.
Last edited by 6cylindersovertexas; 02/18/2009 12:24 AM.
"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!" My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.Operators are standing by to take your calls! Now cruising in the Passing Lane | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 289 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 289 | Farmer, Speaking of looking up the p/n's you can use Keith Hardy's on-line Parts catalog to do exactly that. Here You should also be able to look up drag links and see what years are common or different per above. If you look closely at some of my pics you can read the part number. here May need to download it and zoom in. Looks like 3720317. Maybe Jimbo can wirebrush some enough to read part numbers. These are off a spare axle (TF 1/2 ton) I picked up and the left seems sort of wallowed out at the drag link end compared to the one on my truck. There are also photos of them on the axle too. Here Let us know how it works out for you. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 53 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 53 | Joe, Thank you I need all the help and guidance I can get.  Eric, you've gone above and beyond with the photos and links. The TF is different because of the drag link and possibly the geometry. I've found the parts numbers for the "arm, steeering knuckle" and "arm steering and 3rd". hopefully these are the correct descriptions for the parts needed. A little more digging and we'll see which are common for what years. Jim
Last edited by farmer51; 02/18/2009 3:15 PM.
| | |
| |