The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hanks custodian, KEVINSKI, DadsFirstPickup, Ponchogl), 224 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,230
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#504237 02/10/2009 9:16 AM
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 6
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 6
I just purchased my first Chevy, its a 51 Chevy Styleline Deluxe.
Runs like a sewing machine...some times.

Here are the symptoms.

Starts and runs fine. When its in gear and you give it gas, it will buck a little until it is warmed up. Once warmed up, its great until its had enough. Then all of a sudden it will not maintain speed, it starts spuddering and bucking. Push the pedal to the floor, runs perfect, take you foot off the gas and try to maintain a constant speed and it spudders. I figure its either the carb (float)or the distributor (possibly the vacuum).

I checked the point and they have arc burns. I will replace them, which brings me to the next issue. The timing...what is the point setting? I have heard a match book cover - .19 . Then check with a dwell meter - 36 degrees. I read this is trial and error with the dwell meter.

One last thing, when you hook up the timing light, and you look back over the starter at the fly wheel (thru the bellhousing), where should the mark be? I have a considerable amount of crude on the housing and have cleaned it up and do not see a mark. I would imagine it is in the center of the opening? Are there degree marking for advancing the timing?

thanks for your time.

1. Cannot maintaining crusing speed w/out spuddering and bucking - to the point of when you push the pedal to the floor it pops real bad and then accelerates - runs smooth
2. Point setting
3. Timing mark on bell housing.

thanks for your time.


Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 14
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 14
I have had experience with #1. I investigated the many options you have mentioned. The problem ended up being debris in the gas tank. I had the gas line and filters cleaned and the tank bioled out and the problem ceased to exist.


1951 Chevy 3100
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
On # 2; My 47-51 Shop Manual says adjust new points to .022 then re adjust to.018. The match book thing is just a field expedient. The dwell is done like you are attempting, adjust and re adjust.

On #3, there should be a pointer inside the hole in the bell housing. This will line up with the steel ball on the flywheel.

Always set your dwell first, then timing. Dwell affects timing, timing does not affect dwell.

Richard R is correct aboout the fuel flow, I just fixed that on my 52. The float sank to the bottom of the tank and would stop up the fuel outlet.


1946 1-ton Panel
1952 1-ton Comml. W/Grain Body

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0