The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 151 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#49997 09/11/2005 3:38 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 50
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 50
Me again. Got the new gas tank in '51 Chevy completely assembled and in the truck with lines run. Put gas in it tonight and it is leaking around the brass nipple that screws into bottom of tank and goes through cab floor. I put the thread sealer on the nipple.

I've seen some other threads that complained about the new gas tanks. Anyone have any thoughts/solutions? I was ready to crank up for the first time today, but don't think I want to try with leaking tank! eek


1951 Chevy 3100 w/235
#49998 09/11/2005 11:04 PM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 313
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 313
Hi magnmike, I am one of those who responded to your last question about the new tanks. I told you that I too had the same problem. The new tanks have a design flaw. I never could get mine to seal up either, and I feel that as long as the repro. mfg. continue to make them with the current design at the bottom, there are always going to be problems. On the original Chevy tank, there is a round, flat plate on the outside of the tank, that the brass nipple screws into. This is what the nipple tightens up against, and makes a tight seal. On the new tanks, there is no plate on the bottom. Just a threaded hole. Like I said, I never could get mine to seal either. I ended up taking my new tank back to Chevy Duty, and got some muratic acid, and a clean amd seal kit from Eastwood, and reconditioned my old tank. That was last summer, and so far, no problems.
KT
-------------------
1949 3/4 ton Chevy


1953 3100 with 1957 235, T5 and 12 bolt 373 rear
#49999 09/12/2005 3:47 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 50
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 50
I may have to try that. I had originally taken my old tank to a radiator shop, but they said it was so bad that they didn't think it was worth boiling out.

I did speak with one individual who indicated that I may can try welding the pipe nipple to the bottom of the tank. By placing the weld on the outside, it may keep the tank from leaking.

Anyone tried this approach?


1951 Chevy 3100 w/235
#50000 09/12/2005 2:31 PM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 399
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 399
I know we've been through this before, but I'm a big fan of JB Weld, and have used it to fix a lot of things...Had some stripped out screw holes for my inside visors, filled with JB, drilled with small hole,retapped with original screws...problem solved..Anyway, If there is a way to seal the area that is causing a problem, let it sit for awhile, putting some sealer on that pipe nipple, and giving it another try, that's what I would do..Just my 1 1/2 cents..Steve

#50001 09/12/2005 3:04 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
if you can't or don't return it you 'may' be able to drill out the hole and tap it to the next larger size &/or bush it to fit the correct pipe.
just a thought...


Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0