The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Wayne67vert, dunfire), 122 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,143
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#497940 01/26/2009 11:25 PM
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 14
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 14
I just picked up a six volt General Detroit Siren for my truck on ebay. Also I found a NFPA publication from 1960 which explains how to operate fire pumper trucks. I will let everyone know when I actually get it if it has any valuable info in it.
Thanks Joe B.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 581
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 581
Joe B.,

Haven't ever heard of a "General Detroit" Siren? General (Detroit) was a truck manufacturer, as distinct from General (St. Louis), where I think they started. Perhaps the seller got the siren off of a General Detroit fire truck?

I'm very curious . . . and will prob. beg for photos when it arrives.

AND, the NFPA pub. sounds great!!!

-Michael


Please type slow, as I can't read very fast.

1939 Chevy/Central Fire Engine
1941 Chevy/American Fire Engine
1950 Chevy/American Fire Engine
In the Gallery
More Photos in Me Gallery
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 14
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 14
Hey Mike I will send you a picture when it arrives.
Joe.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
what does the tag on the housing say? it should have manufacture name along with a model #

Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
Hey, was this the siren that was killer cheap? Black and not chrome? I can't find it now but must admit I was watching that. I didn't bid, and don't have a firetruck, so it is probably headed to a better home than my 49 pontiac.


After you get it, can you post or email a sound clip? I've yet to hear one I didn't like.


Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 581
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 581
I think the "big three" in Sirens are:

Federal (the mighty "Q")
Sterling (ie, the Model 20)
B&M (the "Coaster", I think?)

A buddy of mine has a St. Louis-made siren on his '41 Diamond-T. Can't remember the brand, but it's VERY throaty, with a real gurgly growl. Pretty neat.

I've admired my Sterling 6-volt Model 20 ever since I discovered that it draws a miserly 20 amps (hence the name). I kinda like the long wind-up time, also. Federal-Qs, as well as my buddy's, can draw a whopping 100 amps!!! big_eek

-Michael


Please type slow, as I can't read very fast.

1939 Chevy/Central Fire Engine
1941 Chevy/American Fire Engine
1950 Chevy/American Fire Engine
In the Gallery
More Photos in Me Gallery
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 14
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 14
I just got the siren today well as it turns out it is not a general detroit siren. It is a federal model s-114. The actual markings on the tag has been rubbed off only the model number that was stamped remained. It does work so I guess that is what is important. Another siren the same model but crhomed went up on ebay after I bought mine for about the same price. That is how I found out that it was really a federal siren. Joe B.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 581
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 581
Sounds like a typical E-bay transaction!!! Seller didn't know what they had. Oh well, you can fall into some good stuff that way, sometimes . . .

Send a pic if you can.

-Michael


Please type slow, as I can't read very fast.

1939 Chevy/Central Fire Engine
1941 Chevy/American Fire Engine
1950 Chevy/American Fire Engine
In the Gallery
More Photos in Me Gallery

Moderated by  69Cuda 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0