Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
13 members (Otto Skorzeny, Gdads51, TUTS 59, Jon G, Joe H, HandyAndy, greenie-reddy, Simso, 1955 1 Series, Southerntruck, Gib70, 3B, 1 invisible),
123
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,103 Posts1,056,183 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 14 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 14 | I just picked up a six volt General Detroit Siren for my truck on ebay. Also I found a NFPA publication from 1960 which explains how to operate fire pumper trucks. I will let everyone know when I actually get it if it has any valuable info in it. Thanks Joe B. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 581 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 581 | Joe B.,
Haven't ever heard of a "General Detroit" Siren? General (Detroit) was a truck manufacturer, as distinct from General (St. Louis), where I think they started. Perhaps the seller got the siren off of a General Detroit fire truck?
I'm very curious . . . and will prob. beg for photos when it arrives.
AND, the NFPA pub. sounds great!!!
-Michael | | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 14 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 14 | Hey Mike I will send you a picture when it arrives. Joe. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,107 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,107 | what does the tag on the housing say? it should have manufacture name along with a model # | | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,388 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,388 | Hey, was this the siren that was killer cheap? Black and not chrome? I can't find it now but must admit I was watching that. I didn't bid, and don't have a firetruck, so it is probably headed to a better home than my 49 pontiac.
After you get it, can you post or email a sound clip? I've yet to hear one I didn't like. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 581 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 581 | I think the "big three" in Sirens are: Federal (the mighty "Q") Sterling (ie, the Model 20) B&M (the "Coaster", I think?) A buddy of mine has a St. Louis-made siren on his '41 Diamond-T. Can't remember the brand, but it's VERY throaty, with a real gurgly growl. Pretty neat. I've admired my Sterling 6-volt Model 20 ever since I discovered that it draws a miserly 20 amps (hence the name). I kinda like the long wind-up time, also. Federal-Qs, as well as my buddy's, can draw a whopping 100 amps!!! -Michael | | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 14 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 14 | I just got the siren today well as it turns out it is not a general detroit siren. It is a federal model s-114. The actual markings on the tag has been rubbed off only the model number that was stamped remained. It does work so I guess that is what is important. Another siren the same model but crhomed went up on ebay after I bought mine for about the same price. That is how I found out that it was really a federal siren. Joe B. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 581 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 581 | Sounds like a typical E-bay transaction!!! Seller didn't know what they had. Oh well, you can fall into some good stuff that way, sometimes . . .
Send a pic if you can.
-Michael | | |
| |