The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Shaffer's1950, mick53, Hotrod Lincoln, klhansen, 1 invisible), 71 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,388
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#497100 01/24/2009 6:26 PM
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 87
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 87
I am rebuilding my transmission for my 53 pick-up. I went and bought the bearings from the FLAPS store. The question is would you use bearings that are made in China? I feel a little uncomfortable using them. I wouldn't of minded as much if they came from the J A pan Co. But China is another story. What are your thoughts?

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 829
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 829
It's your choice, but I'm afraid the rest of the old American iron might get upset.
I would always be thinking about the bearings, and how they're getting along with the other parts.
Not to mention the guilt I would feel for betraying my truck. big_eek grin

Honestly, I would be concerned about the quality of the metal and and it's tooling.


David Colter
pics * 1954 wrecker * [color:#009900]1948 Chevy 1-Ton[/color]
No act of kindness - no matter how small - is ever wasted ~~ Aesop
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
It's hard to find anything not made in China but I would question them. There are numerous grades of bearings available with the same numbers and some will not hold up in transmissions. I buy my bearings from a supplier that specializes in transmission parts. They cost a little more but I don't want to do it over.
Fred


1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
SKF has more than 5 bearing factories in China. SKF has been synonymous with high quality for decades. I have seen some bearings made in China that scare me, but what's a person to do, punt! ohwell

Stuart

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 443
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 443
I had the same decision last week. I am putting my new (rebuilt) motor in my truck and bought a new clutch, plate & bearing since it will all be apart. I got a re-manufactured clutch assembly and sure enough the stuff is made in China. Looks a little thin to me but I don't have a ton of money to spend for all new parts.


1957 Chevrolet 1/2-ton Stepside LB in the Gallery
My Photobucket shots

The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." - John Stuart Mill (1806 - 1873)

Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
I had issues with wheel bearings made in china on a daily driver,I was putting about 40,000 miles a year on it and they did not last very long. Jeff


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0