The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (bucktruck, dt235sd, Stelonlevo, Hotrod Lincoln, Mike B, 1 invisible), 104 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,119
Posts1,056,648
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 153
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 153
A couple of months ago, I put a used GM HEI dist. on my 292. At the same time, I sent my radiator out to be re-cored, so I didn't run it for any length of time after that. Yesterday, I finally put in my "new" rad., and ran the truck for 10-15 minutes........runs real nice!.......except it is drooling oil from around the base of the dist. My problem is, I can't remember if there was an o-ring on the shaft or not. Before I take it back out, I thought I'd ask you guys if the GM HEI dist. have an o-ring that I can replace? It is fully seated on the block, and I do have great oil pressure, by the way!

Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 230
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 230
no o-ring just a gasket !

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 153
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 153
That must be why it's leaking, as I didn't see any gasket. Time to pull it back out! Thanks guys!

Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 499
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 499
Stock dist and stock HEI dist have a lot of up and down play in the shaft. If someone tried to eliminate that play by adding shims between the gear and dist body, they may have gone too far. The shaft can be forced down against the oil pump, causing extra wear. This can hold the dist body up too high and even with a gasket, it will leak.


'67 GMC 3/4 292 4spd
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 385
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 385
There might even be a problem on the oil pump end. If oil is being forced past a seal into the distributor shaft well you would get seepage at the top, but I'm not sure if that is possible.


195? Chevy 3800 dump truck
1973 Chevy C30 cab and chassis
1987 Suburban 3/4 ton 6.2L Diesel

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0