The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (BCBill, Gdads51, Gray_Ghost, Otto Skorzeny), 133 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,175
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 128
E
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
E Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 128
Also finally got this one done....
URL=http://img133.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ledbezel5agt9.jpg][IMG]http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/5390/ledbezel5agt9.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

When I installed the aftermarket gages I lost all the indicator lights and some are legally required here so I put a bit of time in and cranked this bezel out. The top row are the red warning lights except the high beam (blue) and the turn signal - green. The gear positions(except rev. which is amber)and HIKPA are green. The NO2 is blue... I'm running a later model 4L60E which has an external range position switch on the shifter shaft. It uses 4 wires to generate 7 positions so there is a circuit board on the back with some electronics to decode the inputs and drive the correct range LED.

The front mask is easily changed to read differently...

Once I get it installed I'll take some pic's and post 'em.


Later..

Last edited by efi-diy; 01/11/2009 1:35 AM.
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 128
E
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
E Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 128
50 views and no comments .. too ugly?

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 576
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 576
i dont think so,actually i think its cool.have not seen anything like that before.you could probly market something like that.will look forward to see the pics of it installed.good job.....................dave


1949 Chevrolet 3100

"When this thing hits 88 miles an hour, you're going to see some serious sh%t." -Doc Brown
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Would like to see it completed and installed?
The drawing does look interesting by it's self though.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 128
E
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
E Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 128
When I order the circuit boards the min. order is qty. 5 so I'll have 4 left over and could get additional parts cut.

Initially I'm getting the outside shape cut from low cost plastic (fast to cut and inexpensive) to validated the shape and curvature.

I'll post pictures once this is done so folks can see what it'll look like as a real part.

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
S
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
Have you figured a cost or are you teasing us? I myself will be looking to do something, however dont have a slush-o-matic. Have you thought of using Carling bezels or similar to keep your costs down. http://www.carlingtech.com/pdf/CarlingSW_V_markings.pdf


The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 128
E
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
E Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 128
I'm waiting for the CNC shop to come back with the quote. I was down there today to pick up my VVT cam delete hub. As soon as I know I'll post it.

The vertical set of LED's can easily be deleted for a non-auto application along with the corresponding markings on the front lens.

Last edited by efi-diy; 01/11/2009 12:41 AM.
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
"MONGO"
"MONGO"
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
Efi,
I like the concept I've thought about building something similar but flipped over coming up from the bottom of the dash. I was thinking a 7 segment gear indicator with turn indicators and a high beam indicator. Basically filling the gap between the column and the two gauges where the column shift shaft used to go through.
I like your layout though. Won't know for sure if I'm interested in one till I see your prototype on a dash. Keep us up to date on it.
MONGO


Mongo's Garage
Vintage GM Truck's & Parts
https://mongosgarage.com
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 128
E
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
E Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 128
Mongo,

Will do, I went top down for better visablility.

EFI

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
What method did you use to collect the surface data from the dash? When spring comes and I pull my truck out of hibernation I will be digitizing the dash surface and can forward a solid model to either or both of you if you can use it. I need the data anyway as I have a few ideas for dash inserts secured thru the existing gauge holes. Holding that part securely enough to engage a cutter at 10,000 +- RPM presents a challenge and incorporating break out tabs and their locations in the original design can cut down on the work required of the programmer.


1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod
You Tube

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0