The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (3800GUY, Otto Skorzeny, Shade Baby), 105 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,088
Posts1,056,414
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#489755 01/04/2009 6:34 AM
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 159
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 159
I have a 37 GMC and am going to be painting it this month. I need to know what to do with the underside of the fenders so I don't get road stairs in them. Will something like rino lining work or is there something that is specificaly made for the underside

Thanks


1938 Gmc 1/2 ton
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 700
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 700
You can get a pretty good idea of what I did by looking at my Fenders Album. You can see some more examples under the Cab and Running Board Albums. I had the fenders, running board undersides, and the underside of the cab coated with Line-X and am extremely happy with the result. Line-X is a bit finer in texture and povides a nicer finish in my opinion.

Don


My 1941 in the Stovebolt Gallery
My Photo Album


But I tried, didn't I? ... At least I did that. RP McMurphy
The past belongs to the future...but only the present can preserve it.
Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is a nobler art of leaving things undone.
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 159
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 159
so is that linex about the same as rino lining and how hard is it to apply, does it work good at preventing road stars. Stars are the only thing bothering me about painting my truck


1938 Gmc 1/2 ton
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 700
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 700
Yes, its about the same, only goes on a bit smoother. Now, mind you this is something that has to be applied by a franchisee and he parts must be off the truck. I doubt anything but a big railroad ballast type rock flung up would make a star. This stuff is very very tough. Mine was done after the painting was done which for some reason was the way the Line-X dealer wanted to do it.

Don


My 1941 in the Stovebolt Gallery
My Photo Album


But I tried, didn't I? ... At least I did that. RP McMurphy
The past belongs to the future...but only the present can preserve it.
Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is a nobler art of leaving things undone.
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 159
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 159
have to see if I can find a linx dealer hear what kinda cost is it


1938 Gmc 1/2 ton
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 700
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 700
Check my gallery entry and find the link to the cost spreadsheet. I believe I have the cost of doing each of the above mentioned components entered. Good luck.

Don


My 1941 in the Stovebolt Gallery
My Photo Album


But I tried, didn't I? ... At least I did that. RP McMurphy
The past belongs to the future...but only the present can preserve it.
Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is a nobler art of leaving things undone.
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
I paid $100.00 per fender done before painting, sprayed hot at thier shop with a finish thickness of.075". I went with Bulldog which is the same as Linex and other franchises using that system. As long as it has a lifetime warranty it's probably the same product. I'm extremely happy with the noise reduction and more solid feel a heavy duty product under there provides as well as it's great on runningboards.


http://www.bulldogcoatings.ca/index2.htm

http://www.line-x.com/



1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod
You Tube
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
I used por15 on the underside of the fenders, then primed the por15 and shot it with black paint. Seems to be holding up fine!

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
be sure and seam seal all little cracks and crevices. it helps prevent water and mud from going deep inside those areas.


Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
You might look at

www.secondskinaudio.com

Check out their Spectrum product, which is designed for underside of fenders, rear wheel wells and bottom side of the vehicle to reduce road noise, etc.



Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0