The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Guitplayer, Hotrod Lincoln, Bill Hanlon, Gdads51), 106 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,271
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#489477 01/03/2009 4:28 PM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 145
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 145
So after getting my tires off. 1953 3100. (cutting them off because there was enough glue in there to seal up a whole factory of tires). I noticed I have 3 different sizes. I looked up the standard sizes in my resto packet, and looking at threads on here. But when I measure from the floor to the top, they are 17.7". If I measure where the tire would seat, then it is about 16". Is that the correct way of measuring wheels? to were only the tire seats? Its the same way across. If it is on the inside, I get 4", 4", 4.5", and 5". If I measure to the outside of the lip, it is about an inch larger. The 5" tire does not have the 6 hub cap prongs on it. The others do. I just want to make sure I'm measuring things correctly. If I'm correct, then I believe I just need one more 4.5 by 16. If I read things right, the 4.5" was an option for the rear to increase the load rating. let me know. Thanks.


In the Gallery
[yrl=http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=43825635&albumId=1717519]More pictures in MySpace[/url]
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

David,

The 4" rim (4" "section width") is for a 6.00x16" tire (standard on 1/2 tons, front and back, through 1953); the 4.5" rim is for a 6.50x16"; and, the 5" that you describe is for a later/newer wheel/truck (no hub cap clips).

In 1954, the section width of standard wheels was 4.5" and was most commonly used with 6.50x16" tires (even though 6.0x16" was standard).

You are correct: get matching 4.5" section-width wheels for the clips and you will have the ability to use the same-sized bias-ply or radial-ply tires. If you will be buying used wheels, make sure the seller measures the inside section-width at the same place that you are measuring.

Tim


Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 145
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 145
where could I buy new 16 by 4.5 wheels. Every where I look, all I see is 15". I don't mind buying used and probably will. I am just wandering.


In the Gallery
[yrl=http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=43825635&albumId=1717519]More pictures in MySpace[/url]
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Place a Want Ad in the Swap Meet. Or, contact mothertruckeraz@aol.com via email.


Z
ZooKeeper
Unregistered
ZooKeeper
Unregistered
Z

#489537 01/03/2009 8:01 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031

Last edited by carolines truck; 01/03/2009 8:05 PM.

Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Do any of the new, after-market 16" 6-lug wheels come with the clips for 47-54 hub caps? Has anyone drilled the after-market wheels and added the clips? This would be valuable information for people looking for new, original-style wheels.


Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 226
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 226
These rims are avail. in many places. Check you local classic junk yard. or Hemmings Motor News. There are a few midwest etc. listed. They will all have these rims.

Many for around 35.00 each plus shipping. I ordered some up for a customer a month or so ago.

It is a good idea to put a want ad in the proper spot as stated in a previous posting. and you can put on up on some of the chevy or gmc websites like Nechevygmc.org or Chevy talk for example.

keep us posted


Poets Seat Auto
Appraisals, Parts, Service
Past: General Motor's Master Technician
Member: Northeast Chevy/GMC Truck Club
Phone Number: 413.774.5856
Collector of: 1951 Army Chevy Burb barn door,53 GMC COE,two 1934 Chevy Truck,1935 Chevy Army Truck.1950 Gmc Suburban clamshell these are just my chevy/gmc trucks.
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 451
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 451
Can anybody pass along the front and rear, frame to inner fender distance on a Deco.
Playing with wheel clearence too, and I have no metal on mine.
Thanks in advance,
Cavebull


cavebull
Stovebolts - so easy even a Cavebull can do it.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dodsonbrett/collections

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0