| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
9 members (John Dlugos, Buckeye998, Gray_Ghost, Gdads51, dt235sd, rfs56trk, BCBill, Otto Skorzeny, Dusty53),
236
guests, and
0
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,101 Posts1,056,172 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 7 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 7 | All, I had a 41 with the old crash box four speed and a 55 235CI engine. Has anyone done any towing with this year truck? I was looking to tow a small bubble backed camper trailer and was wondering how it would do before I installed a hitch. Could anyone assist?? | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | I have a 52 1 ton with a 55 model 235 as well, and an SM420, it was geared for about 53 mph at 2400 rpm. The truck weighed 4,400 lb empty and had a hard time towing an empty 3,500 lb tandem axle flat trailer. It would haul 4,000 lb or so in the bed with some effort, but still very manageable. Somehow the trailer is a different kind of load, more friction or drag?
I expect you'll be fine with a light camper trailer.
Grigg | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 334 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2005 Posts: 334 | I have a 54 3100 with a 235 with a three on the tree, and I've towed the double axle enclosed U-Haul trailers loaded with furniture for 300-400 miles without any problems. Samantha | | | | | Joined: Aug 2008 Posts: 230 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2008 Posts: 230 | my old man's 40 on a regular basis towed a 24' tandem Axel with any thing that would fit on it .it moved us from Mississippi to Iowa ,and many other trip's like that .235 ,12 bolt posi 4 speed .2" hitch and weight distribution bar's ,4 barrel and fenten's .i grew up around it and i never saw a job it could not do ,it was a truck | | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 707 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 707 | Yep! You just have to change your concept of what is an acceptable speed. I have trouble understanding people who believe that less than 400 horsepower is not enough for a pickup truck. I don't think you'll feel a little bubble wagon back there at all, unless your tire pressures are wrong... 1951 3800 Be the change you want to see. -hotshoe
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 275 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 275 | Folks used to pull their family house trailers with cars of this vintage. My Dad used to pull ours with his '39 Stude coupe. Problem now is the stopping distance others allow you & the fast take-offs everyone expects. A lot depends on where you're driving. Doug | | | | | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 2,409 Former Workshop Owner | | Former Workshop Owner Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 2,409 | Don (Down2Sea) I think bought a tear drop camper and had planned to do this very same thing. I was pretty sure that he had picked up the camper (that he ordered new) while on a road trip with a newer vehicle. I am not sure if he has pulled it yet with his restored '41.
John
~ J Lucas 2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6 2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s) 2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0 1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton 1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWBIn the Gallery My Flicker Photos! | | |
| |
| |