The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (1955 1 Series, klhansen, John Dlugos, Bill Hanlon, Gray_Ghost, Otto Skorzeny, 2 invisible), 219 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,179
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#488033 12/31/2008 12:33 AM
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 7
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 7
All,
I had a 41 with the old crash box four speed and a 55 235CI engine. Has anyone done any towing with this year truck? I was looking to tow a small bubble backed camper trailer and was wondering how it would do before I installed a hitch. Could anyone assist??

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
I have a 52 1 ton with a 55 model 235 as well, and an SM420, it was geared for about 53 mph at 2400 rpm.
The truck weighed 4,400 lb empty and had a hard time towing an empty 3,500 lb tandem axle flat trailer. It would haul 4,000 lb or so in the bed with some effort, but still very manageable. Somehow the trailer is a different kind of load, more friction or drag?

I expect you'll be fine with a light camper trailer.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 334
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 334
I have a 54 3100 with a 235 with a three on the tree, and I've towed the double axle enclosed U-Haul trailers loaded with furniture for 300-400 miles without any problems.
Samantha


1954 Chevy 3100
Picked from the Field
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 230
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 230
my old man's 40 on a regular basis towed a 24' tandem Axel with any thing that would fit on it .it moved us from Mississippi to Iowa ,and many other trip's like that .235 ,12 bolt posi 4 speed .2" hitch and weight distribution bar's ,4 barrel and fenten's .i grew up around it and i never saw a job it could not do ,it was a truck

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
Yep! You just have to change your concept of what is an acceptable speed. I have trouble understanding people who believe that less than 400 horsepower is not enough for a pickup truck. I don't think you'll feel a little bubble wagon back there at all, unless your tire pressures are wrong...


1951 3800

Be the change you want to see.
-hotshoe
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 275
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 275
Folks used to pull their family house trailers with cars of this vintage. My Dad used to pull ours with his '39 Stude coupe.
Problem now is the stopping distance others allow you & the fast take-offs everyone expects. A lot depends on where you're driving.
Doug

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,409
J
Former Workshop Owner
Former Workshop Owner
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,409
Don (Down2Sea) I think bought a tear drop camper and had planned to do this very same thing. I was pretty sure that he had picked up the camper (that he ordered new) while on a road trip with a newer vehicle. I am not sure if he has pulled it yet with his restored '41.

John


~ J Lucas
2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6
2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s)
2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0
1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
In the Gallery
My Flicker Photos!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0