| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
83
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,081 Posts1,056,318 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 385 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 385 | The PTO operating mechanism is missing from my 1 ton dump. Did they use a cable like the later trucks do? Either way, how hard would it be to adapt a late model cable linkage?
195? Chevy 3800 dump truck 1973 Chevy C30 cab and chassis 1987 Suburban 3/4 ton 6.2L Diesel
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 | Hy starkweatherr, it shouldn't be too hard. I think you can buy a kit to install a cable actuation system for most ptos, hope that helps. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 | The older PTO's were lever shift only and had a shift rod protruding from them. If yours does then it cannot be adapted to a cable shift w/o a lot of work. More than it is worth frankly. Cable shift PTO's have an aluminum shift cover that bolts to the cast iron body and has a 3" lever attached to the center of the cover. A cable shift kit is available for that type only. They need the lever to give the cable enough force to engage/disengage the gear and that is why a rod shifter won't work. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 385 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 385 | I guess I should have taken a picture. I don't know what I have except that I seem to remember having to crawl under and move a lever in order to stop the bed from going up every time I ran the engine. I guess that would mean that the lift linkage was in the raise position all the time.
I found a cable kit for $27. Hope it will work.
Thanks.
195? Chevy 3800 dump truck 1973 Chevy C30 cab and chassis 1987 Suburban 3/4 ton 6.2L Diesel
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 | What you are describing sounds a lot more like the hydraulic pump valve than the PTO. Yes, by all means post a photo and then we can help you.
I'm going out to the farm soon and could stop by and take a look at it for you if you want. Let me know. | | |
| |
| |